Feminized white widow outdoor

Yep. First we had too much early spring rains so local crops were delayed getting planted and now early Fall rains preventing the farmers from getting into the fields for harvest. Some crops will be lost.
I’m hopeful that we will be able to harvest the balance of the Widows Friday with little to no more signs of rot. Fingers crossed :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Good luck I hope all goes well…I’ve lost nearly a third off almost all my outdoor plants to rot …found it on 1 plant that flowered early and next thing I know all hell broke loose…the weather broke and all looked well and now the last couple days npt so good cut a couple more buds off…I got a ptw ready so she’s getting chopped today…haven’t got a chance to check on the outdoor plants today hopefully no more has shown up…

1 Like

Thanks! I’m sorry about your losses and crossed fingers that the rest pull through with no problem. Here’s to “sticky fingers” for your harvest today :beers:
After reading so many people here having major rot issues indoors and outdoors I was really dreading the worst yesterday. Hopefully, by harvesting strategically I may still have a good year ahead :blush:. This years weather has taken a toll on outdoor crops of all kinds.

1 Like

Thank you hopefully all turns out good for you also…my indoor crop is fine I have dehumidifiers to keep the humidity in flower around 50% and plenty of airflow above and below canopy…vacuum out your run off let soil dry properly and keep things clean and you can avoid most problems inside…outside all changes if mother nature doesn’t cooperate your really up against it…

2 Likes

@SmoknGranny
Bud rot is usually caused by the buds being to close together and or leaves touching buds allows moisture to build up
good airflow should help keep bud rot to a minimum
I have two fans now running in my green house and I’m adding a third tonight
I only had 1running prior to yesterday
@WillyJ And I believe this is the cause
Also bud rot does not spread through the air like mold will just a FYI

2 Likes

But you do want to keep fingers and trimmers clean before touching other parts of plant right @Countryboyjvd1971 you could spread it that way? I’ve been real careful not to touch other buds or let any rotted bud fall onto any of the plant when cutting off…

Yep :+1: which is why I opened up areas with strategic clippings to allow for more air flow and hopefully some :sunny: (in case I ever see it again between now and Spring :rofl:). Trust me, I know what causes mold​:blush:

I think so. My grow partner has decades of successfully growing exotic plants and those kind of clean habits are ingrained. While some rules about growing certain plants vary, sanitation doesn’t
The best thing I have done lately was buying Cervantes for her to read! It saved our grows this season as she has/is devouring every page.

2 Likes

I’m still trimming from Sunday’s cutting. No signs of any seeds so I guess that’s good :thinking:, but if I do find some, would they be viable?

1 Like

You shouldn’t find any if the seeds were Feminized… if grown too long
(past their prime) they might try to make their own pollen as a last ditch
effort to save the species. That happened to my Blueberry Feminized cause
it went a couple weeks beyond 12 weeks… best of luck!!

1 Like

Thanks @Ace2012 Yep. Feminized seeds. I was just curious :blush:

Yep. I ended up with a couple viable seeds since the girls were pollinated
real late. The new strain will be Berry White. A cross between Blueberry
and White Widow!! I’m excited to see if it will grow…:grinning:

2 Likes

Awesome :clap:t2: I will look forward to hearing about that grow! Remember to tag me :blush: please.
I just finished trimming all the buds from first batch. Geez it only took me 3 days :rofl: I did take a small bud at the end that felt dry enough and smoked it. If it’s a good indicator of the future cured buds, I should have a pretty good Smokn winter! Woohoo
IMG_0668

3 Likes

More rain tomorrow and I’m down in the back today. So my partner is finishing up the Widows this afternoon. I have no idea about any amber but better than chancing bud rot. Good thing I’m a light weight :rofl:
The clones I have here are not smelling as aromatic so I’m thinking of cutting them down also. Between the cooler temperatures and all the rain for the past couple of weeks my gut says “cut your losses and run “

1 Like

Update: The two Widows were harvested in three steps. First was BEFORE my grow partner read Cervantes. Very small buds and probably little to no trichomes, but still a nice little buzz. Took second harvest a few weeks later after first bad stretch of days with lots of rain and got those hung up for drying. We had a break in the weather for about a week then finished harvesting and put in paper bags while I finished trimming batch 2. Now all dried and in PINT jars. I didn’t weigh as I really didn’t care. I reached my goal to have enough for a year plus. I ended up with about 18 pint jars of buds ranging from pea size to thumb size, about a quart freezer bag of sugar leaves, & 6 quarts of leaves & stems. I’m good :+1: and the smoke is taking care of my needs. Since we did so many things wrong during the first part of the Grow at least we learned and somehow managed to get some good product.
Both of us will grow independently in Spring as I don’t think it’s right for my friend to take all the risks. I’m working out the “bugs” now regarding my outdoor stealth location :grinning:. I’m also trying to decide on a high sativa strain that will grow in our area. :thinking: no matter WHAT I grow I will probably end up with some cross contamination from the local ditch weed :rage: as we have found some seeds in both the Widows and the Purple Kush.
I pulled the two clones 10/21. They had Hermied but I still have them curing. I have a plan for their seeds :rofl: I wonder if the eclipse helped them Hermie :thinking:.
So the reading and learning and planning for Spring is in full gear now and through the winter. I have a Composition notebook full of reference notes, lists, pros and cons of strains, soils, nutrients and the like. With luck I will have many of my questions answered and be ready to fly solo 2018!
My sincere thanks to all who have followed this post and for all advice and encouragement given :hugs::notes:

9 Likes

@SmoknGranny

Damn, so healthy looking. Wish I could get my plants to look like that throughout their entire grow. Great job!

@SmoknGranny

I’ve noticed that with my white widow clones each New Generation takes longer to go Amber. The plants originally from seed took about 8 weeks. The Clones off of them went 9 weeks and the Clones off of those clones went over 12 weeks. I don’t know if that’s the reason or if it’s the temperature difference in my home or my plants are less stressed because I’m much better at growing and feeding. I just don’t know. But each progressive harvest takes longer and longer to get to the amber stage.

1 Like

@BobWags Thanks for the compliment. My grow partner has to be given the most credit for getting them turned around and getting us to harvest. Between the Cervantes book I gave her and with what I’m learning here I think :thinking: we will do better this coming year.
Just as we harvested the ladies early due to the rain and fear of rot, I think I probably harvested the clones too early. I know that before we were undulated with rain the clones were getting milky. I’ve read that white widow outdoor likes to take their time going amber.

3 Likes

@SmoknGranny

Well then, you both did a great job it would appear. Maybe eventually I will understand what it is I am doing different with each grow that causes longer or shorter mature times. I have to be more precise in my journal here at home. All I do now is right in the date of when I water or feed each plant. I’m just lazy.

I hope you have a very Merry Christmas or Hanukkah or whatever it is you celebrate if anything at all. Looks like we are getting snow tomorrow here in New England. Not much but enough to make it a white Christmas.

1 Like

I think that plants, like children, are their own individuals. All we can do is after starting the seeds is to do our best to nurture them to adulthood.
Thanks for the Christmas wishes and I hope you & yours have a wonderful Christmas as well :heart:
Here’s what I woke up to this morning

7 Likes