Feeding/using fertilizer on seedlings

Ok… I found those Rapid Rooter things now… Those sound way better than the ones I got!!! I think I will try those!!! thanks a lot!!!

Paper container? Like a paper throw away cup for drinking water…? Wonder if that breaks down faster than a Peat Pot…!!! I still have a whole bunch of those peat pots from a long time ago… lol Would like to use them up if they work good for pot seedlings!!! Someone did say they use them and like them… Anyone else use those before??? lol

Great ideas!!! Thanks again @OldSkunk!!! And everyone else too!!!

How much bone meal and dolimite lime do you add to one bag @Drinkslinger?

1 Like

I’ve read that autos do best on a 20/4 light cycle all the way to harvest. Any truth to that?

1 Like

Hmmmm, that sure is a good question!!! I remember him sayin something about that awhile ago!!! lol Thanks!!!

About the soil amendments… I mean…

Most of us use 12/12 after 3-4 weeks. I couldn’t tell the difference between a 24/0 plant and 12/12. Just higher electric bill.

2 Likes

The paper containers I use are called jiffy pots and they’re made out of some kind of paper that the roots can just punch right through if you bury them directly in the soil. Check out the same plant at 19 days.

looks like it’s going to be a beauty

2 Likes

Hey @OldSkunk!!! How u been? Hows ur White Widow Auto’s doing? Hope that young one with the branches at 12 days is still crankin away??? lol

I am sure u tried all the other things too? 20/4 and 18/6…, and jus seems the same as 12/12 for Auto’s!?! That is good to know!!! Thanks Skgrower!!!

1 Like

Oh Yea… Was lookin to buy some perlite and saw those clay pebble things… That must be what those are eh? U just have those on top of the soil, or all the way though??? What’s up with those things??? Maybe instead of perlite or with perlite, for even more drainage???

U were writing same time as me!!! Yea, That Auto is doing really good!!! Good job Amigo!!!

1 Like

Flowering at 19 days!!! Been flowering for a couple or few day too!?! That is interesting!!! Thanks for the pic @OldSkunk. U got her under ur bigger lights now, I bet? U have those strong lights right? HPS or something like that I think? I get all these abreviations mixed up sometimes… lol I remember those pics of those nice, big buds u had on those plants awhile back!!! lol

I use them on top to keep the soil stable so that I don’t get divots in it from watering. I use 1/2 of the clay pellets at the bottom of the pot so the roots have an air gap at the bottom to prevent root rot. I use a bunch of perlite in my soil mix.

1 Like

Yea, I had never really seen them before! lol Lookin to buy some perlite…, and said, “hey those are those things SK uses, let me check those out… What is up with these things!?!” lol I was thinking at the time, I mean… lol Good idea again @OldSkunk!!!

They are under veg lights right now. I still have a gold leaf that has to be harvested before I’ll have room for them in the flower room. I think as long as the light is nice and bright, I could leave them under it until week 6 or so.

1 Like

I see!!! Sounds good, my friend!!! That Auto is lookin great!!! Good to hear from ya. Keep in touch!!! I think I will try those clay pellet things in the bottom and top!!! Don’t want root rot, and must help a lot with drainage too!!! Used to put gravel in the bottom, but read an article that said not to use gravel at the bottom, i forget why they said that though… lol

1 Like

p.s. That pic of the skunk there is a pic of the infamous “Pepe le Pew” (sp?) I think? :rofl: Now that was a good cartoon!!! Is a good cartoon!!! Used to watch it when I was a kid!!! U’ve seen it eh??? Funny stuff!!! Love those old cartoons!!!

Thought I’d jump in and help where I can. Seems like you had some confusion at first on some products so…FoxFarm is a soil and nutrient company with a variety of soils that include Ocean Forest (commonly abreviated FFOF), Happy Frog, Happy Frog Soil Conditioner and Light Warrior (seed starting mix). The Ocean Forest is sometimes thought to be pretty ‘hot’ for seedlings but others swear by it. I’ve found all the FF soils to be more acidic than necessary but that the addition of sweet dolomite lime works wonders with it.

“Super Soil” isn’t a product, it’s a concoction. You take a base soil like one of the FF products or ProMix or any other premium soil and then add a list of ingredients (usually called “amendments”) to create a super soil. Garrigan65 has a great recipe and you can Google for “Subcool’s Super soil recipe) and find his.

^^That^^ does sound like stunted plant’s. At over a month old your plants should be more than 3.5” tall. What size pots are the seedlings in - are they in small pots? If they are in tiny pots (or solo cups) they may well be root bound. Unfortunately, Autos do NOT like transplants. They’re very easily stunted. Starting your seeds in Root Riot or Rapid Rooter “plugs” is a great way to germinate because you can just drop them into a hole in the soil in their “forever home” pot - the pot they will remain in, undisturbed, until the day you harvest. Lots of people grow autos in 3gallon and 5 gallon containers. I’m using 10 gallon outside but 5 gallon inside. There’s another method of starting autos in a smaller container and, then, moving them to a larger one that avoids traditional transplanting. I think I talk about it in my “Late Bloomer Grow Journal” here in the Outdoor section, in the “The Grow” subsection. If you google for “instatransplant method cannabis autoflower.net” or search around the Autoflower.net forums you’ll find it. That’s the method I use. Whether I’m using that method or a traditional transplant method on a photo plant, my time is: once the leaves reach the outer edges of the pot (so, the plant is as wide as the container) it’s time to transplant. Once your plant is in its “forever home” that rule doesn’t apply.

You REALLY need to get a way to post pictures. Without pictures it’s going to be very hard to help you. So much of this depends on visual clues the plant is showing you. Without being able to see them it’s all but impossible to give accurate advice.

Here are a couple of plants (New420Guy seeds Paul’s Super Dense Auto) of mine that are about the same age (I This was about 5 weeks) as the plants you mentioned…

Here are 2 others (New420Guy seeds Paul’s Chrystal Aurora Auto) that are twins, same seeds on the same day in identical soil. One stunted, the other didn’t. Why? I have no clue. It just happens sometimes. Funny that the stunted one if flowering away with all her might and the other it still doing a lot of growing although it’s obviously putting on some early flower. Just to show you that plants do what they want. Sometimes, despite our best efforts, they just falter.

Here’s a somewhat stunted (heat, I think) ILGM Amnesia Haze Auto thats at about 6.5-7 weeks. She’s not huge but definitely packing on the buds!

I hope this helps you some. If you’re into autofljwering plants, Autoflower.net is an amazing resource that’s dedicated specifically to growing autos. :smiley::+1:

Happy growing!

1 Like

One last thing…

You’ll notice in the pictures that I do a lot of Low Stress Training (LST) and that really encourages growth! It also helps to increase yield a lot.

1 Like

Thanks @DTOM420!!! Um, 2 of them are in 3 or 4 gal pots now, and the smallest one is still in a 8 to 10 ounce peat pot still…, (the peat pots are made to put right in the bigger pot, but I did cut one peat pot away, and transplanted it that way, and the other, I cut off the bottom of the peat pot…, they both look not very shocked at all, but they were and are already very stunted though). the smallest one is really, really stunted for some reason!!! Much worse than the other 2, which are also very stunted… Hmmm… So many questions!!! Your plants look really good, even the “stunted” ones will have some nice buds on them!!!

FFOF says their ph is between 6.3 and 6.8! Which sounds fine to me? The middle of that is not too high? Even 6.8 seems ok to me, I thought? Does it test out higher???

Ok. How do u get ur plants to branch out like that at such a young age? Do u top them? If so, at what point do u do that?

How much Dolomite Lime do u put in a 5 gal. pot of FFOF, for instance? What ph does ur soil end up at after adding the Lime, if u happen to know??? I was thinking I should get some Dolomite… I still need to test this other potting soil I used called Gardener’s Gold, can not find anything online about what ph it is… I can not find anything online about what ph Happy Frog is either!!! Do u happen to know by chance??? I do not have any Happy Frog, but was thinking of getting some for seedlings. What do use for seedlings for Auto’s? Did I miss that? lol

I used to grow a little bit back when u did too, and before that time period, outside, in the dirt… Not in pots, or anything like what people do now… Except I took all the males out… No Auto’s back then, that I knew of, or feminized seeds either… lol

Thanks A LOT @DTOM420!!! Ur Auto’s look really good!!! Weird that my computer cam will not work with this computer!!! Have to try to figure it out!!!

Yea, I want to try that LST, but I have no branches to train on these 3 plants…:sob: Gotta get some more seeds and try again asap. My new light should be here in about a week, so that is a good thing, wish I had it here now!!! When I get it, I wanna try a new batch of Auto’s, not sure what I am gonna get, what kind of seeds I mean… lol U must be growin somewhere with tons of hot sun, to be growin Auto’s like that outdoors this time of year!!! It is not like that here, I had to move indoors, under lights… Thanks again @DTOM420!!!

@DTOM420, @OldSkunk had one Auto he sent me pics of that did not seem to branch out very good…, and then a newer one that branched out really good and fast, and looks really good, (u can see pics above), was meanin to ask him if he has any idea why that one did not branch out very good, like mine, (even though his was and is way taller) and the other one did!?! Couple people sayin I should top these stunted auto’s to get them to branch, and a bunch of others said that sounds like a very bad idea, basically…!!! Well, they wrote it in a nicer way than I put it…, I suppose!!!