Feeding plants in fabric pots

I grow 3 plants in 5gallon fabric pots on balcony, so I say “growing outside”, (not out in the nature) in organic soil with nutrients.

Question is, do I add fertiliser or plant food like “fish blood and bones” organic only, after some time, or do I risk hurting the plant?

Does anyone add plant food?

Thanks

2 Likes

The fish and bone meal is good for making tea but would only use it in flower as they are high in phosphorus during veg use some worm castings and bat guano and use the high phosphorus stuff in bloom

4 Likes

Blood meal can be used in veg I believe it is high in nitrogen

2 Likes

Make sure if you are making your own nutes
Soak the ingredients over night and then use a ppm and pH meter to get the pH and ppm right

2 Likes

I love making tea for my plants it is a bit more work than buying pre made nutes but I have found that it works well with my super soil and find great satisfaction in making them myself

4 Likes

Thanks a lot @Growit, I was wondering about that.
My local garden shop has both…
And now when you mentioned it, the soil I bought from them has bat guano and some worm castings.

How often do you feed? Or how often is it recommended?

Thanks

1 Like

Weed will grow like a weed. But, you will improve the growth and yield with nutrients. Once your plants are established, they are unlikely to get root burn from (composted) organic amendments. Your organic soil does get depleted. Try to understand what’s in “fish blood and bones” and why your plants might want that. Calcium and Magnesium are two essential nutrients to add besides the N-P-K. Your feeding should change for flowering and bud growth.

3 Likes

On my outdoor plants right now I feed once a week
On my previous grows I built my own super soil and has everything in it so I feed very little
On my last run I got through my whole flower cycle and yielded 1/2 -1/4 pound per plant with just pHed water

4 Likes

If your using basic all purpose soil and attempting to grow organic yes you will need to supplement Nutes via Earth worm castings, guano, kelp meal etc etc etc. The list is pretty long of organic options. If your using a living soil/ hot soil that already has all those Mircos and orgs in them then no you do not need to add more unless you come across a deficiency. I personally am growing currently using living soil and have not supplemented any thing other than a compost tea.
Hope this helps, happy growing!

5 Likes

Ooo and yes kelp meal is awesome

2 Likes

Check out the long list of ingredients :joy:

1 Like

I have heard good things about that soil
Looks alot longer than my supersoil build for this next grow its baking under a tarp on the patio now

2 Likes

That boosts my confidence a tad…So far so good but the true test will be when she starts fully flowering. She’s flourishing currently and nothing more than some Nute burn and pests so far.

1 Like

That’s really good soil…mine is nothing like that, it is organic, but certainly with a lower percentage of the good stuff that is on the list.
My store has pure worm waste and bat guano concentrates that I will most likely get.
I don’t have the bag, but the store owner said that I will need very little nutrients to add.
I don’t know if it means anything to anyone outside of France, but it’s called “Batmix” and “Royalmix”.

Found it on google: (pitch if anyone interested in reading)
Bat mix Plagron
Soil with fertilizer, culture support NFU 44-551. Basically, Plagron Bat-mix is ​​composed of the best selected peat with the greatest care.

The addition of various types of fibers and perlite allows you to obtain a lightness and a level of oxygen that you will only find with Plagron quality potting soil. The unique, large-scale presence of vermicompost ensures high quality biological activity and even better water absorption. Bat manure (Bat-guano) is the most important nutrient added to Bat-mix Plagron.

Naturally rich in phosphorus and potassium, bat manure guarantees a particularly exuberant flowering. Plagron Bat-mix contains enough nutrients to provide for the plant during a complete cycle. It is only under perfectly controlled conditions that bat manure can be processed to obtain the quality product from which the Plagron mix is ​​derived.

Warning ! Add water before use. Do not add fertilizer during the first 6 weeks.

Sorry for the long post

Your soil sounds great . Compost teas would be your best bet. You can make different teas for both veg and flowering cycles Veg teas are made from compost that contains plants and clippings that were actively growing. Flowering teas are made by using materials that were flowering, ie spent flowers and fruit and vegetables. You can also add any organic ammendments and some form of mycorhizal fungi to your tea. Use rainwater where possible and you will have done everything possible to grow the healthiest best tasting and smelling weed you can.

4 Likes

Im with you on that @Growit

Here is my tutorial on making a compost tea brewer if you’re interested. It’s very easy.

2 Likes

Although an air pump, an air stone in a 5 gallon bucket will work just fine. I made the vortex brewer because it has less chance of creating any anaerobic spots inside the bucket with an airstone.

1 Like

Get tea bags
The worm castings will clog up your watering pots I brewed my first batch with out bags and clogged up watering pots and was frustrating when feeding

1 Like

I use an air pump with stones with food grade buckets
I put all my ingredients in a big tea bag and brew it for a day or two
If I brew longer I will add molasses to keep microbes alive but usually try not to over brew it

3 Likes