Feeding my plants?

Total beginner here. I’ve planted GGA, GSCA, & BBA in five gallon buckets of fox farm soil. I think I planted them too soon and didn’t water them enough in the beginning, they had tall skinny stems. I read on here that I should repot them, and pray that the stems grow roots and survive…done. My question is: How do I know when to feed them, and what is the best thing to feed them? I don’t know if you go by the ph when feeding them, or not, and I don’t know anything about ph yet. Help!:woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

I am also a newbee, I am in soil playing the roller coaster ride with nutrients. Next grow will be coco. I was locked out because of too much nutrients. Ph is very important they say 6.5 in soil. Hopefully a pro will chime in. You need to find the support ticket and pics.

If your having skinny stems do you mean plant is stretching and leggy?
If so it is seeking light .
You may need to fill out a ticket so everyone can see what your working with.
And some pictures also.
Welcome to the forum…

1 Like

I tried to upload a picture, I don’t know if it worked or not. They were leaning towards the sun, but I didn’t know how much water they needed. There are so many different descriptions of how much water to give, some say let it get dry on top, so I did. I let them get too dry. When I repotted, there was basically no moisture in the soil. If this picture posts, then I’ll post a picture of how they look planted now. I’m terrified I’ve ruined my first grow already.

1 Like

This is how they look repotted. Any words of advice?

1 Like

They look pretty good to me .
Let me tag some of the vets see what they say.
@imSICKkid @Covertgrower @Myfriendis410

2 Likes

They look great to me.

2 Likes

Thanks! So you think they’ll be okay since I repotted them? I’m going to order a ph tester, but I still don’t understand when I’ll need to feed them. Thanks for the help and support!

1 Like

when you order your PH tester if you can order at least an Apera 20 they are about $50 and well worth it. The cheap ones fail alot (went thru 3 before the apera) and also get a PPM (also called EC) tester, you will need this to tell when your soil is getting depleated of nutes the cheap ones are ok. But Wait there’s more! might as well get some storage solution for the PH tester so the bulb in it does’nt go bad.

2 Likes

Is this the one you’re talking about? And, I’ve looked at a few ppms, will the $20 ones do okay?

2 Likes

Thats it, see the fill line, thats where you fill it with the storage solution to keep bulb from drying out. Yes on the PPM meter I think the one I bought a few years ago was like $14 an its still kickin. The apera kit I bought didn’t have the storeage solution just testing so make sure to get some.

1 Like

Calibration solution (4.01, 7.0 and 11.0 PH IIRC) is a good idea and I understand the 4.01 PH solution can be used for storage.

There is also ‘Standard Reference Solution’ PH 7.0 that you can use to check your device’s calibration.

They actually make a dedicated storage solution. Glad you mention that because it is imperative to keep your electrode from drying out.

3 Likes

Don’t buy ther super cheap. Go for a decent pen or even better, buy quality. I use Milwaukee meters and I love then. I have the RDS/EC/PH multimeter with detachable wand, so if it goes bad, I cna just order a new wand w/cable. This is a bit pricey at around 150$

Here you go. I have used these for a decade from the greenhouse to the growroom. Notice below the description is a bottle of storage solution you can add, or just buy it alone.

https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-MW802-Digital-TDS-Meter/dp/B007Z4KIGU/ref=sr_1_13?dchild=1&keywords=milwaukee+ph&qid=1622204116&sr=8-13?tag=greenrel-20

Worth the money. If you only need PH then this is one that I have used. I would splurge for this with replaceable electrode.

https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-pH56-Waterproof-Replaceable-Resolution/dp/B007Z4HZ8O/ref=sr_1_15?dchild=1&keywords=milwaukee+ph&qid=1622204116&sr=8-15?tag=greenrel-20

Have fun shopping.

1 Like

So, I ordered the Ph up and Ph down, but now I see they’re for hydroponics. Will I be able to use these for soil, or should I stop the order?

1 Like

the pH up/down does just that (affect the pH), so whether you will be putting it into soil or your tank wont matter. you shoudl be good to go.

i agree with all the other good folks here, your plants look great so far.

2 Likes

I’ve used pH Up and pH Down for soil grows for years. It works just fine.

1 Like

After you mix all your nutes in the water use the up & down to adjust the PH then water your plant be it in hydro or soil (5.8 hydro & 6.5 for soil)

1 Like

Thank you all so much for the help. I’m gonna need some serious indica to keep me from completely stressing out over this first grow.:wink:

I ordered this ppm meter, but it’s not calibrated to where I need it. I have to order calibration solution. Until it gets here, is it safe to start feeding my plants since I have my ph meter and am using distilled water? I’ve got fox farm fertilizers that say to start feeding now. Any advice?