Feedback on Seedling

Hello! About a week in after germination. The leaves don’t look quite right to me, particularly the way they’re curled. Wondering if it’s light burn. Light is currently two feet above the seedling on a 18/6 schedule. Thanks in advance!

• What strain, Seed bank, or bag seed: Lowryder Auto
  • Method: Organic soil, foxfarm ocean forest
  • Vessels: Clay pot
  • PH of Water: Unsure
  • PPM/TDS or EC of nutrient solution: Unsure
  • Indoor or Outdoor: Indoor in tent
  • Light system: GalaxyHydro 600w LED Roleadro
  • Temps: 70 degrees
  • Humidity: Unsure
  • Ventilation system: Yes

2 Likes

Welcome to the community ! my first thoughts it is not light burn. I would let the pot dry out a little put a dome over seedling an mist inside the Dome couple times a day. Also I normally start my seedlings in small cups with seedling starter soil then transplant to ocean Forest. Good luck

2 Likes

This is why your leaves are twisted. It will recover.

1 Like

I agree with @kellydans , it looks pretty darn wet for it being so small in such a big grow bag. At that size u can water in a few spots several inches away from the main stem to help the roots search for water and reduce the chances of overwatering and slowed growth

2 Likes

Yeah it would be hard to control right amount of water for that plant in that pot and water gets adsorbed weird at this point just let it dry a lil, probably let her be for a week or so ,.

2 Likes

When using FF Ocean Forest, it is a common practice to also use Happy Frog or Light Warrior or some other cannabis seed starter mix HF or LW will be used on top or in the center of the container for the seed or seedling to be planted in. They provide a buffer for young seedling and helps reduce nutrient shock that sometimes occurs with OF alone.

4 Likes

O so that’s why they do that , interesting, I knew that that was the way to do it ,but I didn’t knew why, Good Info

Growing indoors in a container, you will really need to acquire a decent digital PH and TDS meter to help maintain the plant. You will need to supplement before harvest and those supplements need to be PH’d to the proper level and the solution strength can only be reliably measured with a TDS meter (ppm).

4 Likes

Thanks so much for this info!

1 Like

Gotcha. Much appreciated!

1 Like

Thanks for the info! I’ll look into that. Truthfully, I was hoping the Ocean Forest would have enough nutrients mixed in to get the job done. I worry a little bit about screwing things up by not adding the nutrients properly.

2 Likes

I use Happy Frog and I’m going into week 4 without any nutes. (or burn from nutes) Might be worth looking into for your next grow.

1 Like

What has worked for me in FFOF is to run the plant with water only until the first signs of any deficiency occurs (usually N), which is not until you are into flower. At that point some P and K should be supplemented (and I run N all the way through) as the plant needs those nutrients for flower-building. From there is the limit: you can add a huge number of additional supplements, but frankly it won’t make much difference.

Watering frequency: when plant is small you must dole out water in smaller quantities. As a seedling I dome and mist dome with distilled or R/O water. Once dome comes off I water sparingly, away from the plant so it can ‘hunt’ for water. Ultimately you want to water to about 10% runoff which will happen once the canopy of the plant is around the same diameter as the pot it’s in. Cannabis likes loose, airy soil and wet-to-dry cycles. It does NOT like to be too wet.

Hope that helps get you started on the right path.

2 Likes

That is extremely helpful. Thank you! I’m sure I’ll have more questions later on.

That’s good to know, thanks!

This is how we learn! I can only speak for myself, but most here will say the same, I messed up with many things. On my second grow and still messing things up, but always learning for the next grow. Take good notes of what you do; you will go back to them on your next grow, and even this grow!

You received great advice :point_up_2: already. Great place to learn.

Best of luck.

Layering soil is not a good idea especially with a veg and flower dirt but ffof and fflw would work I would grow in light warrior with a solocup and then up pot to ocean forest roots grow right down and through top layer and right into ocean forest… if you stack a veg and flower dirt not only will it go strait down to the flower dirt the ocean forest will leach unnessecary nitrogen down at an unwanted time of flower and cause issues
Thoroughly mix or cut with perlite I’ve even rinsed ffof before putting seedlings in it

1 Like

Wrapping things up here. I think I’m a few weeks out from harvest. Does this leave coloration appear normal for this stage of the plant? I’ve also included a close up of bud formation. They’re not fattening up as much as I’d like. I haven’t been using any additional nutrients with this grow, just FFOF soil and water. I’ve also been surprised by the lack of smell, but I could just be nose blind to it.

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Waiting for a pro to comment on the leaf discoloration at this stage… I see it all the time in the final days/weeks of the plant but I thought it might be due to flushing. I don’t know many of the pro’s on here yet…maybe @Caligurl ?

They should fatten up more as the weeks go on. Interesting you mention the smell, I’m growing GGAF currently and they have a smell but it isn’t one I’d immediately recognize as green. Other grows on here say the potency, smell, etc all comes after the curing process.

Thanks for the feedback! I expected yellowing of the fan leaves during the final stages of the grow, just not all at once. I suspect I also have a temperature problem as well (too warm). At this stage in the grow, just trying to finish up without a major issue. Cross your fingers!

1 Like