Feed or not to feed, that is the question

I need to go away for a two weeks through work. I have my auto watering system in place which supplies my plants with fresh water from a butt. I feed my nutes manually using a watering can as and when my ppm starts to drop. Can I add my nutes to my auto watering system? It’s basic, 2 trays with auto pot valves which feed water into the trays and the plants soak it up. I can’t see any problems as long as the nutes are the right strength or am I missing something.

I think you’re on the right track. You can add nutrients to the water, but make sure that it has an air stone.

2 Likes

Sounds crappy :rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl:

Seriously though, if you add nutes to water and then plan to slowly disperse it, the pH may get all wonky.
If it were me, I’d feed them well before leaving, then use distilled/RO water to keep them hydrated while youre gone. Be prepared for minor issues when you return.
As I’ve discovered, a trusted friend is usually a safer bet than an automated system. Test it all repeatedly before you go.

2 Likes

I didn’t think of the ph going a bit wonky. Need to watch that. The air stone was something else that I hadn’t thought about. The trusted friend is an option. I’ve asked the wife to keep an eye on things but goodness me green fingers is something she just doesn’t have.

Gawd, that’s like one of my dad jokes :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

I use a similar system to auto feed soil plants. Maybe the same system. I use nutrients in the system, I also have a water pump that turns on for 5mins every 3 hours set on a timer and an air stone inside the reservoir and the auto pots

1 Like