Favorite uses for cannabutter

Decided to wait until morning to stop the cooking. We’ll see what an overnight exposure does to them. I’m just glad they’re retired. Hate to screw up a good bird dog’s nose😜

For toast I slowly melt a little bit and with a brush ,I brush it on,then add cinnamon, lots of cinnamon…lol

2 Likes

If anyone cares, You can do cannabutter from start (decarb) to finish in the same mason jar. You only open it a few times, so the smell is negligible, and you can make a pot of chili or something to hide that smell.

2 Likes

Can you explain that @Whodat66? One jar from start to finish, that is?

Following this for ideas and learning to make it.
:heart::heart:

1 Like

OK, here goes. This is cut-n-paste from another board. AVB is “already vaped bud” or basically flowers that get decarbed as you use them but still have some juice left. :slight_smile: this stuff is potent, but I’m sure using trim or fresh flowers would knock your socks off.

Cannabutter
Ratio of 1Tbsp. Unsalted Butter : 1G AVB
I have combined a few methods, using basic premises I accepted from various articles and recipes I have found on the web, and my personal cooking knowledge.

Decarb is a must - I agree with the method from high times article on cannabutter

110C for 110min. Theirs was sealed in foil, sealed jar same thing. Think about this: when you vape, you are decarbing your flowers. You are getting the best of the product out of your flowers right off the bat, so I keep mine sealed rather than having my oven get a buzz. Mason Jars are designed for canning, so the jars can take low temp in the oven for that long - you’ll need a new lid each time. Use a jar with enough room, but don’t fill it, get a bigger jar.

I see various methods of “water curing” and stuff, to the point of having a “pure” product, and if I were running a medical weed lab or a high-end restaurant,

20 minutes in the freezer twice? A link from this reddit mentioned it, the dude explained it pretty well, said it made his better, and didn’t seem like it would hurt.

The Recipe: Set the sous vide on 95C or the crock pot on high with enough water to float the jar. Add the butter and decarbed flowers (ground fine) to a mason jar with a good lid.

Cook 1 hour. Burp after 5min, and if it was a lot, check again each 5-10min. Once it doesn’t release air it’s good. Also during this hour, carefully shake the jar every 10-15 min to agitate everything…

After an hour, shake one more time then put into the freezer for 20min.

Remove from freezer and add about ½” water to jar. Shake the jar until the water is completely emulsified (no water layer visible). This will grab all the ash and impurities, and when it settles and separates you can see the junk at the bottom. Put back into the sous vide for another hour with the burping and shaking again, then freezer for another 20min, then one more time for a total 3 hours of cook.

After the 3rd cook, strain it in a fine METAL sieve over the container of your choice. Press it or whatever you want, then throw it in the fridge. When it solidifies, the water can be poured off.but here’s a trick. After that, use a glass bowl, pour boiling water from a tea kettle over the veg until no butter comes out, or shake it in a jar and re-strain – as many times as you want – then put the bowl in the fridge. Butter floats, solidifies… I say metal because the hot water will rinse any goodies off. I don’t like the thought of all that stuff left in the coffee filter, but I guess you could rinse that too. I just am not worried about a little veg in the butter.

4 Likes

@SmoknGranny hows your butter coming? Hope the doggos are enjoying it lol.

Just put it up. Damn dogs were wide awake and wanted loving. I’m hoping it’s good :blush:. Not to bring you down but I was hoping to use it for making brownies to send to my sister. She passed away early this morning. So please smoke one for her and help me celebrate her life :heart:

2 Likes

@SmoknGranny I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I will save all the silly platitudes and just say losing someone is the hardest thing we ever go through.

I am a widow. Lost my husband 14 years ago…OMG has it been that long?! 14 years and it never really goes away. The pain just morphs into something that we find ways to endure. Rest in the knowledge that your sister is probably in a better place than this shite world we currently live in. Think about her, talk about her and cry about her whenever you want. Grieving is a tough thing and I found early on just giving myself permission to feel it all was the easiest way to move through it and eventually past it.

You and your sis are in my thoughts today…

Rodri

1 Like

I’ll bookmark this for next batch. Thanks :blush:

On the crock pot thing, 95C on the soux vide is just under boiling so I’m not sure which setting that would be on a crock pot. I know my pot roast boils… I think the low setting for longer would be better.

Thanks so much. Three of us made a pact years ago. First was NO funerals. Second was to remember and celebrate the good times !!! Third was to either light one up or take a shot of Crown Royal. My brother just passed 12/2/16, now Patty and I’m the last. So when my time comes I guess you’re gonna have to light one up for me😊

5 Likes

Consider it done :heavy_heart_exclamation:

1 Like

Update!!! Butter made, drained and frozen. I’m taking a couple of ounces to my PIC (partner in crime) on Friday. IF I have enough eggs I will do first experiment tomorrow with a standard old brownie mix. I DO like my chocolate :chocolate_bar:. I didn’t squeeze the cheesecloth as a precaution against yucky chlorophyll recommended on a different website. Butter is mild green and doesn’t taste bad as I just had to lick my fingers :joy:. My PIC is thinking of going the popcorn route. I 'll keep you posted :leaves::leaves::leaves:

2 Likes

my advice, is remember, it often takes a long time to kick in, me, up to 2 hours. If you want to time it correctly for early in the day, do you want to wolf down a brownie?

Lemon poppy seed or other muffins are a good idea, especially if they freeze well.

use your math skills because once you know the correct dosage for you, you know how much of the end product of any food you make with the same batch, as long as you factor in your correct dosage (ie I need 1.5 teaspoons of butter for a dose or whatever your dose ends up being)

its no fun to eat too much
:frowning:
:sleeping_bed:

1 Like

Thanks @mulch I do like muffins :blush: Yep I’m not going to eat a big piece right off the bat. I’m a gonna baby step.

I got a bag (25) of those silicone “dab” containers on the cheap that hold about a teaspoon. I portion it into them to freeze for long term, (I use a big basting syringe), then just put the rest in a mason jar. Each batch will be different, so it’s good to try one “portion” and see how that goes. The next day try 2 or whatever till you find what works. Once frozen, you can pop them out of the containers into something else, or vacuum seal them.

Oh, and if you thing your stuff might be weak, or want to make the butter stronger you just change the butter to flower ratio before cooking. As long as there is plenty of room and you don’t turn it into a can of spinach :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks. Next batch I may do that as I have silicon soap molds :blush: With the store bought brownie mix it calls for 1/2 cup oil so I’m planning 1/2 cup cannabutter. Crossing my fingers. Back in the day we just use to throw in a half ounce straight from the bag!!!

2 Likes

then i think you are going to be in for a treat (as long as you dont overindulge)

I’m looking forward to it​:drooling_face: And I’ll wait patiently until I’m done with chores. Once all the four paws are fed and since I can’t drive at night (cataracts & no insurance thanks to Obama​:rage:) I will sample after supper tomorrow night. Damn! I better make sure I have a couple of eggs :fried_egg:. If no eggs I may just try a dab in my coffee @rodri59 :blush::coffee: