Fancy cocktails for the Gourmand

This is a new one for me - Hawaiian Stone Sour

1.5oz Knob Creek Barrel Strength 120 proof
1oz fresh squeezed lemon juice
1.5oz pineapple juice
.5oz maple syrup (or simple)

Shake well with ice and strain into a glass with fresh ice. Garnish with a Luxardo cherry. Maybe a chunk of pineapple if you have it.

I like the barrel proof bourbon for this cocktail. There’s a lot of juice and not a lot of liquor so the higher proof stands up well to the sweetness and gives the right kick without making it a huge pint glass of a drink.

1 Like

Geez I guess I’ve kept this going for almost a year now. Not sure what that says about my drinking habits!

Here’s another Tiki classic - the Singapore sling

OK yeah a clear cup would’ve been a little more photogenic, this is a pretty pink drink for the ladies in your life or for you to be a manly man and stick a umbrella in it.

Enough chatter, here’s how you make it:

1.5oz dry gin (Tanqueray or beefeater is great for this - don’t break out your good martini gin for this, leave the Hendricks in the cabinet)
.5oz Cherry Liqueur - my preference is Luxardo
.25oz Benedictine
.25oz Cointreau or triple sec
Small dash of angustora bitters - SMALL - I love bitters but you only need a tiny bit in this recipe and too much totally throws off the balance
1.5oz pineapple juice
.5oz fresh lime juice

Tiny bit of grenadine (you can add this now to pink up your drink or later to give it a layered look)

Shake it all hard with ice and strain into a glass with fresh ice.

Garnish with a wheel of lime or a chunk of pineapple and a cherry or all three.

1 Like

Still following along, still keep forgetting to take cocktail pics when I make them… :crazy_face:

It’s hard for me to remember to. So often I’m halfway in to whatever I just made and thinking damn this taste good I should post this recipe and then it’s gone :rofl:

And hey if you or anyone else wants to post a recipe for me to mix I’m happy to drink it on your behalf and take a picture :laughing::tropical_drink:

1 Like

The Enola Gay

1.5 ounce liquor (Gin)
0.25 ounce liqueur (Blue Curacao)
0.25 ounce lime juice
Ice, crushed (as needed)

Place all ingredients into a cocktail shaker.
Shake well to mix and make very cold.
Strain into a 2 ounce shot glass and serve.
Then wait for it!

1 Like

Love the name…. Enola Gay drops da bomb!

1 Like

Try it you’ll like it!

1 Like

I would but I’m out of Gin! I’ve only got Old Tom Gin and the flavor might not really work…

1 Like

Could make it interesting!

1 Like

Chili Margarita

1.25oz Tequila Anejo (Tres Generaciones)
.25oz Grand Marinier
.5oz Fresh lime juice
.25oz Simple Syrup
1tsp Chili Powder

Delightful.

2 Likes

Yes! I’ve been wanting to try making something with some heat at home :+1:

Also I support your choice of tequila :grin:

1 Like

I’ve been working on my mojito lately and have taken it to a funky sour minty place that I really am enjoying.

Ever since I went to the Bahamas back in March I’ve been on a high proof rum kick. I think I finally found the right mix for that funky pot still overproof island rum.

1oz Aged rum (silver rum is fine too)
1oz Cruzan Hurricane Proof Rum (135 proof)
1oz Smith & Cross Jamaican rum (108 proof)
Juice of 1 whole lime
.5oz maple syrup
10-15 mint leaves

Shake hard with ice, strain into a rocks glass and serve with a mint sprig.

The lime really works with the funk of the Jamaican pot still rum and the high test Cruzan rum gives it a strong back and let’s ya know it’s not some weak sh!t. The aged or silver rum is there as filler let’s be honest. More of either of the other two rums would either be too strong in taste or too much heat from all that alcohol to enjoy.

3 Likes

Looks great!

1 Like

New one for me tonight as we bought a watermelon and I had some extra to play with…

Watermelon Margarita

2oz tequila (I’m using blanco cuz my wife likes it - I prefer something a little older)
1.5oz watermelon juice
.5 oz maple syrup
Half a line
Couple of mint leaves

Shake it hard for 13 seconds with a few cubes of ice to give it some body and soul. Then strain into a rocks glass full of fresh ice and serve with a mint sprig

3 Likes

Maple is an underused sweetener for cocktails. I was on an old fashioned kick for a while using just a touch of maple. I may need to resurrect that….

2 Likes

I was goimg to ask about the maple. I don’t really care for it in traditional use, but i don’t believe I’ve knowingly had in a cocktail.

2 Likes

Oh gosh, I’ll try not to ramble too much about maple syrup…

To be perfectly honest it’s about how lazy I’m feeling and what I have on hand and I pretty much always have maple. It’s a sub for simple for me. I’ll make up a batch of simple syrup from time to time but when I run out I’m usually making substitutions for it before I get around to making more. To be clear this is real natural maple syrup from maple trees, not log cabin or aunt Jemima.

Most bars use maple in a specialty cocktail or two around here. In a cocktail it’s not thick or sticky or cloying and it’s more like using agave than simple as it’s not so massively sweet. Hard to describe because it’s a subtle flavor - mellow with a barely there maple hint.

We consume a lot of maple syrup in Vermont. I think the average Canadian still has us beat but we got thru a lot so I always have a quart in the fridge. I got started on putting it in drinks by putting it in morning coffee. I don’t sweeten my coffee in the morning anymore but what I did…maple.

Main thing is - it’s not log cabin. I grew up on that crap and it took me a while to get past the idea that the two are not the same at all.

1 Like

100%, and glad you thought to call that out. Real, pure maple syrup all the way. And not just for cocktails, the real deal simply can’t be beat.

1 Like

That’s the stuff! (I can tell you know cuz only Canadian syrup would be bilingual and canucks are the only people in this world crazier for maple than Vermonters!)

I don’t bother with the novelty bottles since I can get it right off the boiler from the guy down the road in the good old tan plastic jugs. - there’s half a dozen or more commercial producers in my tiny county (hardcore maple production around here… sap lines all through the woods, vacuum systems, reverse osmosis… serious producers). But my parents run a B&B and they put those on everyone’s night stands! Tourists can’t get enough :rofl:

1 Like

When we lived in NY, we used to make trips to VT and always brought some syrup back. Down here in VA its not “quite” as readily available but still worth finding.

I don’t bother with the fancy bottles either, but ironically, we had a salesperson visit from Canada yesterday (work related) and she brought some bottles down.

1 Like