Fan leaves…clip em or leave them?

So do you keep your fan leaves all the way until harvest? I was told to get rid of them after week four in flower. Does anybody have any input on that?

4 Likes

I like to leave as many as possible.
Others remove all of them
Cannabis tolerates a lot of different systems.

6 Likes

Ive tried removing them all kind of early and although i had some alright turnouts its better to leave them on to harvest. You dont need them all but you should keep some

4 Likes

I like to strip everything on bottom third of plant or in other words, anything below a trellis. Not worth the trim time. I have always yielded more defoliating then without, just do not over due it.

5 Likes

If you’re not tying them down in any way it would be better to leave them and bend and selectively cut any that are blocking the bud sites @PharmerFred
I do it both ways depending on the stage they’re in

5 Likes

Whoever told you you don’t need fan leaves after week 4 most likely grows chemically tasting buds. How else would they grow without leaves?

3 Likes

I leave all my leaves on and let the plant consume them.

4 Likes

Week 4 after flip. And that’s why I’m asking

That’s exactly what I’ve been doing. Thanks sir

This Super Boof absolutely loves this HLG 150

4 Likes

I take as many leaves as possible day 1, day 20, day 42.

Monster plants have lots of leaves to trim. This works way better than bitching about no space or too long a veg or trying to calculate stretch.
Just get rid of the leaves keep the buds. The buds then grow massive.

That’s 1 plant filling a 4x4. You run out of time before you run out of leaves

16 Likes

I trim whatever is blocking light or airflow or diseased. Some varieties are more dense than others and need continuous trimming.

2 Likes

Same here. Leaves are the plant’s solar panels. More = more energy production.

4 Likes

Not only that they tell you if you’re screwing up or not :+1:

5 Likes

I should have trimmed the leaves on these. They were blocking the light and my buds are small :grin:

Next grow I’ll pull every leaf as it grows and that’ll leave just buds to soak up all the light :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Welcome back ! I like to take a few throughout the Grow but overall my 1st choice is to tuck the fan leafs If possible to create better light penetration and air flow.
Happy growing :v:

2 Likes

To the op. This is something you gotta figure out on your own. As you read, there is alot of opinions on this. Outdoors, i never defoliate, indoors it is extremely beneficial when done correctly.

4 Likes

I just defoliated this and I only took what was needed to open up the canopy to light. I left plenty of fan leaves for growth. She’s just starting flower and those buds will be like the one right next to her with the sideways growth

You’re right on about defoliation. Everyone just has to learn what makes them comfortable @Poseidon1

4 Likes

Could not agree more. Why waste any energy on the bottom 1/3 that will be larf anyway. Ppfd drops drastically indoors, it is nothing like the outdoors that has no drop of ppfd. I want my plants to focus all energy on where the colas are and thats it! Leave the upper leafs alone as much as possible! To each there own…

2 Likes

I can’t take enough. I do top down defoliation. Kolas get bigger with less leaves imo.
I am ale every single leaf I can day 1, day 21 and day 42. There are so many left. Always

4 Likes