Fan failure and bulb overheating

hey everyone. i had a question that has been bothering me recently. so i have been running a 600w HPS HID bulb. 600w ballast obviously. all sun systems. the reflector is the yield master (air cooled enclosed in tempered glass) the fan i have is a can fan 6" that pulls air through the yield master.
everything works great and i have had many successful grows. its been about a year ive been running this stuff about 12 hours a day for light and 24 hours for fan. sometimes i have to work at night because im a cook so i have timers that run the system automatically incase im rarely not home. im curious what would happen if the fan were to suddenly fail and the bulb would be allowed to get way too hot? does the ballast shut off of if the temperature gets too high? or does the bulb explode and my house starts on fire? thanks to anyone that took the time to read and possibly answer about any xp.

2 Likes

I had a dual 400w HPS and 400w MH. I never air cooled it. I got hot but never overheated. The problem I Ramiro was keeping the ambient low inthe grow room

i see. well thanks for your input. i also forgot to mention mine is in a grow tent. “the big easy” by sun hut. curious if there some sort of auto shut off for the ballast if the bulb overheats

1 Like

I’m not really sure. Mine is about 30yrs old and I don’t think there is a temp failsafr

You don’t have any thing to worry about i was running 2 600w lights mh and hps bulbs in gullwing reflectors with no problems at all using a 440cfm 6in fan and now i have cool hood reflectors. The thing you will need to check on is your filter when it cloggs your temperature are going to spike i had temps of 97 when my filter clogged. I have never heard of a bulb exploding before. Im using a 4x4x6 grow tent and getting good results. I hope this helps you

1 Like

yea it makes me feel a little better. but what happens when the fan fails and the bulbs are allowed to just heat up in the reflectors? thats my real question i suppose.

It’s going to get hot and if left alone long enough burn up your crop fox farm comeback brought my plant’s back from that before i forgot to set my fan timer for 2 days oops…

1 Like

I run 2 1000w HPS inside air cooled reflectors. I ran them for a couple of years with no problems. I was also using a large ac unit. When the AC went out, I got a smaller one. Then I had a problem with room temperature and installed a fan on my lights, which solved the problem. Your lights are not going to overheat and cause a fire.

2 Likes

haha thats so sad. well thanks you! this has been bothering me for a while. id rather jist loose some plants than have my house burn down. haha no plant is worth my shelter.

1 Like

thanks but what if the fan dies when im not home and the bulbs are allowed to go uncooled is what im asking. i know my setup works fine

That’s what I’m saying. If your fan goes out, the worst thing that’s going to happen is the ambient temperature of your room will increase. It will not overheat and burn your house down

2 Likes

get a temp controller that shuts down at a set high temp.!
place it in your tent up high and plug your chit into it, easy and safe.!!

any grow store or greenhouse supply can get u one if they do not have them in stock.

1 Like

thanks man! i feel way better now

good to know there are these things available thank you!

1 Like

we should all use a safety shut down of some sort,
these fans, lights, ballasts, and drivers all have potential fire hazards.!