Fabric pots vs plastic, ceramic?

A new forum member was asking what’s the difference between fabric, ceramic, or plastic pots in using for growing?
Will anyone please give the pros and cons of why using fabric versus the other ones? This user didn’t know how to make a new topic so I’m helping him do so.
@JKDjEdi here you go brother. I started one for you. There will be many other people that will try them in and give their two cents on the differences and reasons for you. Welcome to the forum brother. Happy growing

1 Like

I use fabric pots. Cannabis roots need oxygen and fabric pots breathe a bit. Wet and dry cycles are also important to cannabis and fabric pots dry out a little more quickly.

2 Likes

Thanks… I got one going…maybe combine both to one?? sorry…I just got the ok to start a new topic… thanks again brother.

1 Like

When I bought mine I made sure that I bought ones that are a light color and not black ones. The black ones seem to have a lot of people saying that they hold heat too much and get too hot for the root systems. When growing you want as little Amount of stress on the plant as possible so I’m going with a lighter color is a better idea then going with the darker one. That’s what I think anyways but I’m new to this also. My plants seem to be a whole lot happier in their new fabric pots instead of the plastic ones. They really enjoy being able to breathe.

2 Likes

Roots and leaves. The things the plants need to grow. You can see the top of the plant, but generally have no idea what the roots look like until you harvest.

This from a recent harvest. This is why I use fabric pots. I’ve never had this type of root growth in any of my grows until I started using fabric pots.

1 Like

I’m new to all of this, after researching all the different pot options I went with the air pots. Someone with more experience may be able to shed more light on this.
It seems like most people here are using the fabric pots. It would be neat to see a side by side grow.

The air pots seem like a great investment

I think fabric are a nice compromise between affordability and breath ability that many of us reach, however, if you can afford the airpots, then they will serve you longer and better than fabric

I think it would get down to a durability over affordability question. They both do the same thing.

I started using fabric pots 3 years ago for my taters and such. I bought ten 10 gallon pots.

Last year I decided to grow in coco coir and the pots were there so in it went. Bertha grew like a weed.

2 Likes

I use 10 gallon pots too. Not because I because I grow big plants, but because I like to give roots room to grow and the pot is usually full of roots by harvest time. Lots of capacity helps with other issues too. I flush less when using big pots.

1 Like

Here is a benefit to fabric pots you dont hear a lot about.
Roots will grow thru the fabric into a larger pot. So instead of transplanting you simply place it into a larger container with more soil. This one was a 1 gallon with happy frog soil. After 4 or 5 weeks I simply placed it into a 5 gallon fabric pot about 2 or 3 inches deep. You dont need to bury it all the way. In fact you are losing volume of new soil by setting it deeper so only a few inches is necessary.
Here is a pic of the set up in the tent and then one of the root system after harvest. The plant yielded about 9 ounces dry.

Roots Galore!

2 Likes

Wow @Spiney_norman thats really cool dude! I’ve heard about people doing that and that the roots would grow through the parts but I have never seen it so thanks for sharing that pic. That’s super freaking awesome!

2 Likes

I started doing that this year.

3 Likes

That’s why I like fabric pots. They allow me to just put the old pot into the new pot and then again. No stress on the plant and if I want to go longer on a grow there’s always the next pot.

I started using quart bags for seedlings and clones this year. After a month they go into a larger pot (3-5 gallon). If I want a bigger plant those can go into a 7-10 gallon pot. Plug and play as it were.

1 Like

I’m using Vivosun pots…they seem to be thicker than the norm, and hold water really good… I’m not there yet for transplanting but did a test run with the soil (I have) on how it holds water with these pots, seems to hold the water more than other types. My brother-in-law is going with plastic pots and his crop is looking good, has a indoor outdoor thing going on, half day out, half day in…and yes they carry them pots in and out every day … we both are growing similar strains so gonna be interesting if there’s any differences between the type of pots used.

1 Like

Bertha looks very happy and healthy in that picture. Thank you for your service sir.

1 Like

Looking great dude! @JKDjEdi and I have the same pots only beige. I’m happy for you brother!

1 Like

@TRF Thanks… How’s the drainage on those compared to other type of pots?

Fantastic! And my girls love it too!

1 Like

Is it true the roots pass through the cloth? do your roots extend through the bottom into the ground below them?

Not yet but they will and yes they do. I’ve seen some people on here put a pot inside one pot inside another pot and the roots grow all through all of them. It’s a really awesome thing to see!

1 Like