Fabric pots - how to clean?

I am currently on my 4th grow using 3 gallon fabric pots (and FFHF/FFFOF mix) and i was wondering how you can clean them after each grow? I know that fox farm is heavy on the salts and I’m guessing thats why the pots are hard to clean. Or do people not bother with cleaning them and buy new? Ive always wondered if dirty pots can affect your run off numbers somehow.

PS, have a great day :v: :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’ve heard of people putting them in the washer on a light cycle and put some vinegar in the water to dissolve the salts that have built up on the bags.

I don’t want to deal with it so I just use new bags each time. They aren’t very expensive.

5 Likes

I have a newer washer and i put it on high heat and the sanitize setting with no soap. I do soak them outside and try to pre rinse to get most of the salt buildup off first tho. They do feel weaker after a wash cycle tho so i can’t see them lasting long after 2-3 cycles. Ive switched over to rain science bags because of the reusablity and longevity

4 Likes

I don’t want to deal with it either so i just put new soil in it…

1 Like

If they are not too bad I soak in water and Oxy Clean which sanitizes them and cleans them up pretty well. Some small amount of root matter or leftover coco if its sanitized wont hurt a thing.
The real dirty ones I just repurpose to outside grow bags for tomato’s, peppers or whatever.
I normally only have to buy a few new ones each year.

4 Likes

I wash good with water hoes outside an Follow up with a gentle wash cycle in machine. They come out looking new.

6 Likes

Lol…Sorry, Sometimes I cant help myself. :rofl:

9 Likes

Good catch :clap:

5 Likes

Hahaha, good one :metal:

1 Like

I transpose letters all the tmie.

3 Likes

I use fairly heavy duty felt pots from HydroFarm called Dirt Pot. If you have good location like a utility room sink you can soak them in hot water and white distilled vinegar. My utility sink is deep, I’ll fill it approximately halfway and add a half gallon of vinegar, let soak for a few hrs. Stains rinse right off.

4 Likes

@kellydans @Spiney_norman
For raised beds, this is the perfect hoe

Once the bag is dry most of the roots will break off.
I then throw them in a big tub outside and soak them in Oxi. For the bags with stubborn salt stains I’ll add some Flora Kleen.
After all this I switched to Rain Science pots. Unbelievably easy. Rinse with a garden hose and it ready to go.

4 Likes

Mine looks like this. I use it all the time. Great tool.

3 Likes

This is a great idea, thanks

1 Like

No problem, it’s funny to me because the wife has always been a advocate for cleaning things with vinegar. I always hated it because of the smell. But have admit, since I started growing I use vinegar to clean grow supplies on a regular basis. I use to remove my water catch trays regularly, now I just wait until the girls are harvested and use same method to clean them. I have a CloneKing cloner, once I remove clones I just run it with a mixture of water and vinegar. It removes all the water stain buildup after running for a couple of hours.

4 Likes

I was my drip trays with a mixture of blue Dawn and vinegar so it does make sense that it should work on the fabric pots too.

4 Likes

@beardless " RMMMM…some people call it a kaiser blade" (SlingBlade) :rofl: couldn’t help myself…haha
@BrainsandBongs I use vinegar and baking soda together…works like a charm…very effective!! I pt it in a Rubbermaid type tub or big bucket…soak a while then wash! Just like new! …and yea I used oxi one year works fantastic…

2 Likes

I have a front load washer and I do a bunch at a time in the fall. Just brush off any debris and them in the wash on gentle. If using warm or hot water, I don’t add vinegar. Line dry.

2 Likes

Mama read this one, she said lsundry mat or outside hose, her washer is no no. Roger that boss!!!

2 Likes

@NewGirl I hear ya…I line dry too! @Mosca I hear ya too! They tend to get a lil picky when it comes to the washer and “foreign matter” goes into it…I remember reading about some going to a laundry mat to do them,and how some thought it wasn’t cool either? Hmmm But Ive used my washer after really cleaning all the dirt and fibers as much as possible…Some may say Yuk? but its probably the same as washing your yucky kid clothes after a day in the woods…no?

1 Like