Fabric Grow pots.. thoughts

anyone have any definative thoughts on fabric grow bags… i have seen a few things that lead me to stick with regular pots… esp if things like fungus gnats can be an issue in environments… have seen them set up shop bigtime as the soil dries and contracts away from the sides of the bags… are they really worth the extra things you may need to do to secure the soil away from pests ?

I love my fabric pots and I’ve never had an issue with fungus gnats. I don’t think that is only related to fabric pots

3 Likes

I have had a bigger issue with regular pots and gnats personally :v:

3 Likes

Fabric pots actually help keep moisture levels in check, which in turn can help decrease your soil’s chance of infection.

4 Likes

I used to use 5 gal pickle buckets. I went to fabric and I won’t be using a regular pot again.

3 Likes

I echo everyone so far…love my fabrics.

3 Likes

Fabric pot are actually better for your roots . When placed in fabric containers , plants send out roots that grow toward the edge of the pot. In a plastic container, roots will begin to circle when they reach the edge. They go around and around the perimeter of the pot looking for air .

4 Likes

I definitely recommend the fabric pots. Less oversaturation

2 Likes

I have only used fabric pots since I started 3 years ago, love them…

Most nats come from store bought soil as unhatched eggs, and has little to do with the pot, at least in my short experience…

2 Likes

If you’re concerned about fungus gnats in your soil you can always bake the soil in the oven and kill off the eggs and then you’ll have to reintroduce the microbiome

1 Like

Just moved into 10gal Fabric pots and I’m very impressed!

3 Likes

I’m going to also echo the community love my fabric pots for several different reasons.

1 Like

@if3gt4
Fabric pots for the win

3 Likes

I switched to fabric pots a couple years ago. Zero regrets.

3 Likes

I really like the root trapper pots as they stop water from coming out the sides.

But I have since started watering with a small sprayer nozzle that gets the soil wet instead of pouring water on it which can lead to run off outside the fabric.

4 Likes

Question on side runoff. If I wet the outer levels of the fabric pot first, then water, will that reduce runoff?

interesting stuff… i think @Ron330 might have hit the nail with the eggs in soil comment … ill pass that info along to them… ive been growing about 9 yrs and they have one of the worst gnat issues i have seen and the soil makes sence to me… they also live back in the woods so im sure that doesnt help and the space between their soil and bag likely has nothing to do with it…appreciate everyones feedback and after reading the comments i may try a few bags myself next run… how many uses do you get out of them typically.?

You can reuse them but I found that bits of the roots stay stuck in the fabric which might not be a big deal but for the cost (2-3$) I just buy new ones

i can def understand just replacing them after a use…

I just replace mine each grow, the prices aren’t that bad, can usually get 10 for about $15 off amazon.