Fabric grow pots drainage

Planning on transplanting into 7 gallon fabric pots heard I should put some clay pebbles or some other small round stone on bottom of pots for drainage. Seems to make since I have never used fabric pots before so want to do it right this will be the final pot for the ladies

1 Like

@RoboD. No need to add anything to the fabric pots for drainage.
Just keep them raised a bit so they don’t wick up any runoff that comes from watering / feeding.
:v:

5 Likes

I don’t know that I’ve ever seen someone with a drainage issue in a fabric pot. Fabric pots breathe adequately on their own. I’d rather have more soil in my pots for the roots to seek out water and nutrients.

4 Likes

Only drainage problem I have in fabric pots is having too much drainage. Not that it’s really a bad thing. Just means watering goes more slowly unless flushing is needed. Then I run it through as quick as possible without washing out and exposing the upper root system. I drilled several tiny holes in milk jug tops to turn them into watering jugs. Watering straight out of a milk jug with no restriction is way too much water way too fast.

2 Likes

Thanks for the answer just got done transplanting into the fabric pots.

2 Likes

Yeah I get too much not sure if it’s draining out the side or actually saturating the center. So not sure if I prefer them over plastic.

1 Like

I think that is the nature of fabric pots. It does make sense though. The benefit of fabric is air permeates them and air prunes the roots, provides oxygen to the root ball but this also dries out the soil touching the side of the bag. I always have a some water pour off the surface and down the side until the soil rehydrates and expands.

1 Like