Extreme distance of lights from canopy in commercial grows?

I ran across a question on another forum about how/why the lighting in some commercial grow facilities seem to be so much further above the canopy than most home growers. The question is, how are they able to provide enough light, get enough light penetration into the canopy and why don’t they put them closer to the plants?

This question was sparked after a guy watched some videos on YouTube that includes this one from Colorado:

Since there’s nobody that I know that knows more about lighting, I figured I’d post it here and see what y’all think. How about it @dbrn32? I have my own theory but I’d like to hear yours.

2 Likes

Hard to make a blanket statement as each grow can be setup a little differently. But in most cases, those are gavita pro fixtures. They are 1000 watt double ended monsters, ppf over 2000 umols per second. They still have quite a bit of intensity high, and put a lot of focus on the overlay of light from fixture to fixture.

1 Like

I wonder what the monthly electric bill is??

2 Likes

A whole bunch. I dont understand why big outfits like these aren’t growing in greenhouses and supplementing with lights. Can’t charge a man for sunlight.

5 Likes