Extra shoots to cut or leave them?

I have all these extra shoots coming out of growing branches. Each branch will grow multiple shoots up and down the stem of the main branch.

One of the pics is an example of a growing branch with 2 other shoots starting their own thing. The other is my baby. White Widow in a 10 gallon pot. Feeding nukeheads Uranium veg. Ph is running at 6.2

5 Likes

I do a thing called lollipoping. Just before I put her into flower, I trim off and growth that does not reach 50% of the tallest growth. I remove all the growth on the lower 3rd of the plant. All the little branches and small bud sites.Any growth not getting 100% light will suffer for it. The removal of that growth will redirect that energy to the rest of the plant.

9 Likes

Yeah :sunglasses: it’s up to your tastes bro , you can cut it or you can let it go it’s just depends

2 Likes

Why would u wanna cut off new growth that will turn into bud.

2 Likes

My wife cried when I first defoliated Polly.

6 Likes

Plant looks good, I’d leave it be for now. Outdoor you don’t have to remove nearly as much leaves or branches (if any) as you would indoor.

I usually just let the plant do it’s thing, others may have different options. Good luck with the grow

4 Likes

Yup outdoors ur working with a light that reaches 8 light minutes, 3 ft of leaves isnt gonna stop it at all. Indoors our lighting intensity decreases exponentially over inches of distance.

Only reason I could see someone defoil’n outdoors is high humidity flowering times. Open her up and increase airflow to decrease mold chances.

3 Likes

@Mark0427 I’m talking about a shoot than within an inch another and another…

1 Like

Those side shoots will grow and provide you with more bud. May want to move her away from the fence and building if it’s blocking the :sun_with_face:

2 Likes

@Dave101 had to put her in the shade because it hit 115° a couple days in a row :hot_face::hot_face::hot_face: don’t know how she pulled through besides lots of TLC!

2 Likes

115, that’s hot :hot_face:

29 Celsius here

2 Likes

You could look into some shade cloth, 30-50 % shade rating would help tremendously.

5 Likes

@Dave101 I put some of that up and it wasn’t enough. I ended putting her on a rolling platform and roll her out for the morning to noon sunlight than roll her back in the shade.

3 Likes

Good idea with the platform, I did the same thing with mine.

2 Likes

LOL, just making an assumption here, but looking at that sagging 10gal (maybe larger) fabric pot, and the size of the stalk of that plant in the soil it LOOKS like you had just transplanted it to there ? :wink: I bet that was some tense, puckering moments of careful handling. Always worry when they’re huge about having to transplant ANYthing but haven’t had that stress of doing it with this “garden variety” yet :slight_smile: She looks happy though!!

1 Like

Nah, she had been there about 3 moths at the time. She was a clone from a bag seed. That is the lucky spot. My 15’ monster grew in that same spot.

2 Likes

are there pics of that 15’ behemoth on here? LAWWWD what a TREE and i’d love to see that!! I hope i have that kind of luck from all my bag seed 1st runs. About to post some pics in a few on my thread. I HOPE, MAN do i hope those aren’t “nanners” forming on Amy Lee…

2 Likes

The story is one of which I am actually ashamed. It was mid-September and she was in full bloom. I got paranoid someone was gonna steal her and chopped her way too soon. Still some good bud, but I realize now what I lost.

Karla’s Korner keeps me medicated.

5 Likes

@oldmarine I aspire to that…thanks very much for all your input everywhere (I see you :kissing_heart:)…you’ve helped me more than you’ll know.

2 Likes

We grow outdoor. Full season full sun. I tend to trim alittle during the entire season tell about 2 weeks into flower. I have found it beneficial for the following reasons.
Remember. This is simply my opinion and growing style. We all do things a bit different and achieve amazing results.
-Pest prevention: I don’t like any leaf touching the soul. I think this is a great location for creepy crawlers to climb aboard.
-Pest control: With not so thick of a lower base around the soil ect. I find it much easier and effective when I spray for bugs.
-Air flow: It gets hott here. I like to see the entire plant wiggle abit when a big wind gusts comes. (in veg)
-Accessibility: I need an open and clear base so I can water my girls.
-What will grow: Understanding what will produce a nice stalk and what will ‘never’ reach the light.

3 Likes