Exploring Strains

So, I used to be a big beer drinker. I even made my own. My liver has brought me to marijuana. I have noticed there are 3 types of weed, indica, sativa and hybrid. I just dont see much organization after that. There just seems to be hundreds in each category at random. Is there anything that breaks the three categories down further? For example with beer you have ales and lagers. Within the ales you have stouts and porters, pale ales, IPA’s, brown ales, barley wines, etc. You usually start at one end and work you way down. Is there any person or place that organizes weed the same?

1 Like

@Illinois
Sativa’s tend to allow you to stay alert, creative, and active.
Indica tends to make you sit down, and rest a lot, and sometimes fall asleep.

Hybrid is any combination of the two sativa and indica mixed together. A hybrid can have qualities of both indica and sativa, and can have a higher percentage of either. Some can show equal qualities of both!
Most strains are a form of hybrid, because there aren’t many landrace strains left. A landrace strain is a strain that originally grew on that plot of land (or continent). So the purest sativa you might find is 90% sativa. That is pretty respectable though.
In the seed store you can select either indica or sativa, but I did not find a button that allowed certain percentages of hybrid. For example, if selecting sativa or indica, agent orange, and orange bud get left out. Which are 50/50 of both.

I hope this answers your questions, if I missed something let me know! Welcome to ILGM!

4 Likes

Yes and no. I understand the differences in all 3 categories. And I know I’m an indica guy for sure. How are the indices organized? So far I’ve tried grand daddy purple, og, og kush, girl scout cookies, northern lights, and blue cheese. Where do I go from there? At a brewery you can get a flight of 6 or so beers. They usually are organized from light to dark. Is marijuana the Same? Where should I go from here? Or, maybe someone here who is an expert needs to write this book yet. I don’t know.

Writing a book really wouldn’t work for the simple fact that new strains are constantly being developed so the book would be obsolete by the time it came out. Most people pick the type of plant they like (indica) then pick the hybrid that fits their flovor profile (fruity, citrus, earthy etc) and then the thc/CBD concentration they want. Ilgms seedbank has info on all of this on their site of their strains.

2 Likes

On all strains the effects are listed & look for strains that fit your needs. Also you harvest according to the effect your after. Milky trichs = a more heady high but if you let them go longer with 50% amber you get more of couch lock. Severity of either is also due to % of thc. Im an indica girl & can help if you like.

3 Likes

It’s farther broken down by various “mother strains”: kush, haze, diesel, cheese, skunk, sour, etc. Each of those does tend toward a certain type, ex., kushes are predominantly indica, hazes are predominantly sativa. Then, once you start with crossing, you can get something like a kush haze combo.

The mother strains are also indicative of flavor, aroma, and effect.

Where to go from where you’re at? Are you looking for taste, strength, getting high, or getting stoned? Medical?

Which of those strains did you like? What did you like about it? Do you want to farther explore those tastes & effects, or do you want something completely new?

3 Likes

Thanks everyone! The mother strain info was what I was looking for. That helps a ton. As far as me… I loved northern lights while watching live music with my wife and she did too. It was so euphoric like we traveled in time or something. I really enjoy grand daddy purple for my insomnia. I don’t care for the blue cheese. Some days it’s good, other days it has me a little paranoid. I’m usually looking for the following…

1. Something to knock me out cold at night.
  2. Something for going out with friends like the story above with my wife.
  3. Something for muscle soreness after lifting weights.
  4. And I think I’m almost ready for a daytime strain for hanging out with the wife and two kids. Our oldest is 5 and disabled (autism). Our youngest is 4 and a typical boy. I want something that my wife won’t notice but makes hearing the same 4 year old stories and repetitive activities interesting.
  5. Eventually we want to try something for our sons autism. He is almost 6 years old, completely nonverbal, not potty trained. He does not have seizures, but stems a lot. He is a very happy kid, never has any real meltdowns nor does he have any harmful behaviors. He doesn’t bang his head or anything like that. He does have very low muscle tone. And one last thing, he loves music, sounds and lights. He can’t speak, but hums melodies. He can play the piano. If you take him to a concert or even a video arcade he loves the lights and noise. That is the complete opposite from most autism cases… And yes… I do believe my insomnia is from the fact I stress about our little boy with autism. Therapy has helped, but the insomnia is still there. My doctor prescribed xanax, and it works. But, I know cannabis is much better for me. My doctor even said so.
11 Likes

Sorry brother. I also have a son with autism. I have grown, and in the process of making extracts to help him. I am currently working with some higher CBD strains that I hope will help him. They are euphoric head highs and hopefully help with his self harm issues. Gold Leaf, White Widow and Chronic Widow. I will try to let you know about my results.

4 Likes

Thanks, and it’s good to know I’m not alone on this journey. I have heard good things on high cbd strains. I also keep hearing charlottes web is a good one for autism and seizures. Good luck and let’s stay in touch.

3 Likes

Will do brother. I should have some info in a couple weeks.

2 Likes

1st off welcome to the forum! Can’t imagine what its like for you and your family dealing with all that. Hats off to you. You should try the Crystal strain… I think you’ll like it.

1 Like

So, a few strains for you, and few medical strains for your son? I’m sure if we all put our heads together we can get you what you need.

1 Like

@Illinois

https://www.google.com/amp/ilovegrowingmarijuana.com/autism/amp/

3 Likes

For nighttime may i suggest crystal. Shes high in thc 25% & cbds. Its a 60% indica hybrid. We made a tincture also that is awesome! Hubby has a bad pain in one lung & old hip injury &has been pretty much pain free by taking couple drops before bed. A hardy easy strain to grow.

1 Like

How 'bout Suzi Q?

Chem dawg is a great all arounder

1 Like

Gosh I love you all. So glad I found this place!

5 Likes

@Illinois my first test with my son is with gold leaf butter mixed with box brownies. It does seem to calm him but also a sleepy time. He stopped self harm and was happy/giggly for an hour but then lights out lol. My next batch will be with White Widow butter soon as I make a batch.

Of course I test all my stuff to set his doses and it’s a real nice pain med bedtime combo. Might be what your looking for yourself.

I made some chocolates using clarified budder. They’re still candy, of course, so not super healthy, but they have way fewer ingredients than brownies, plus a ½ oz piece of chocolate would probably be 4 servings for a smaller body.

Funny thing about our son. He has autism, but is a pretty laid back kid. He doesn’t have seizures. He never has any violent outbreaks. He never harms himself as or others. He is almost 6 years old and has never spoken a word. He loves lights and noise (which is opposite from most people with autism.) He is not potty trained at all. Some days he will look at you and engage eye contact, but most days he won’t look at you and walk by like he doesn’t see you. His laugh is contagious, when you get to hear it. And he is a runner, which scares the shit out of us. Turn your head for a second and he is gone. And he usually heads for a busy street or a body of water, which is probably why I have trouble sleeping at night. Lol He has had 2 asthma attacks that led to ambulance rides. His O2 dropped to 76 and he turned blue. We almost lost him those times. His new inhaler (flovent) has saved his life. I swear those events keep me from sleeping as well. Every time I hear a small cough I go on high alert, lol. Also, I am a special education teacher as a career. I have been over 14 years. Just when i thought I knew it all, God gave us a son like this and I feel like I know everything and nothing at the same time. I know that I am a heavy drinker, but wanting to quit. I believe cannabis has been a God send and a lifesaver to me. It has helped with my insomnia as well as anxiety. It does not make me moody like alcohol can. It is better for my liver than doctor prescribed xanax. But, I’m still trying to figure out what works for me and our son. So, here I am and thanks for taking me in.

2 Likes