Explain this one to a rookie!

“Cannabis is diploid plant with 20 chromosomes (Van Bakel et al., 2011).”

1 Like

Its all Spanish to me…

2 Likes

Spanglish

:joy:

3 Likes

So then a polyploid plant will have 2 sets of 20, so 40 chromosomes total.

1 Like

No. Not to my understanding at least.

Here is an explanation from Dutch passion (reputable resource).

“Polyploid cannabis is a chromosome-related variation of normal cannabis. It offers the possibility of heavier harvests and stronger effects. To understand polyploid cannabis we need to start by looking at chromosomes. A chromosome is made of DNA. It contains part, or all, of the genetic material for that organism. Humans have 23 pairs of chromosomes, one from each parent. In humans there are two paired chromosomes in each set, this is know as diploidy. Cannabis is also a diploid species. But if you have three or more sets of chromosomes (instead of two) the organism is said to exhibit polyploid characteristics. Polyploid cannabis would have 3, or more, paired chromosomes instead of the normal two.”

2 Likes

Polyploidy is theorized as an evolutionary adaptation to cosmic ray bombardment in plants exposed to high levels (think Arctic) so plants like saxifrage exhibit polyploidy for example. It’s a means of redundant data storage for the plant and is a survival mechanism.

2 Likes
1 Like

No we learning something, as I already knew how to grow pot. Hey @PurpNGold74 maybe me an you can learn some of this Spanish! Lol! They say ol dogs can learn new tricks.

1 Like

Here is a visual.
440px-Haploid,diploid,triploid_and_tetraploid.svg

Wikipedia also gives a fairly decent basic description.

5 Likes

What’s it surviving? My Big Bad HPS Light? 6.5 PH and the conditions of a perfect Garden? I’m lost here

Yeah I’m even more confused why not just hand me a joint of Chronic instead as I’d be just as confused. Lol!!!

1 Like

It’s a mutation that happens from time to time…

1 Like

That I understand, What’s the consensus on a plant like that? Are such genetics worthy to be passed on?

Polyploidy is not going to be brought on by lights. It is a genetic mutation with some evolutionary advantages.

1 Like

I have some orange barb seeds. I’ve grown out 2 of them and both were polyploids. I have 3 seeds left and suspect that those are poly too.

2 Likes

I can’t link Dutch passion as they are a competitor but from the sounds of it unless you clone it or find another similar plant with the same mutation you can’t breed it.
It’s like a mule, a donkey can breed, a horse cna breed but a mule can’t.

It’s the future of cannabis some are saying but it’s early stages.

Here

2 Likes

Hmmm, The future eh? Now i’m really intrigued. I may not can breed it but I can breed with it. Give a playa a second

2 Likes

When you say evolutionary advantages what do we really mean? More nodes equal more buds, that ones easy but what else?

Cosmic Bombardment, give us the definition of that one please sir so I can figure out how to respond! Rolmao!!! How high do I need to be? As the Cosmos is way out there by Kramer.

Ultraviolet and cosmic rays damage chromosomal structure. Having multiple copies helps for the survival of the plant. Not saying cannabis grows in the arctic but other plants do and at the end of the day, they’re all related. So some functions and structures carry over to plants not necessarily needing it. That said; Indica and Ruderalis are high-altitude plants subject to high levels of UV as well which is demonstrated to cause chromosomal damage.

1 Like

Off topic I know but I couldn’t resist @Hellraiser

3 Likes