Experiment doing good

For all those who are on a very tight budget here is my result. Just 75 watts total of lighting and still growing. That’s right, just 75 watts. They don’t grow as fast (I think) but they do ok. Into the first week of flowering and I can see the tiny buds starting.

8 Likes

Have you measured the actual power draw of the entire lighting system? That seems extremely low!

@DavidJEK your yield will be extremely low. If youre actually pulling 75w which is most likely not the case (it is probably running lower), you would be looking at less than an oz in bud, with the rest of your conditions being ideal. Is 4-6 months of work worth it for that? The ROI on that is low lol

@dbrn32 i know you always have tons of input regarding light. What do you think?

1 Like

Based solely on the size of the heatsinks around the diodes, I’d say it’s possible there is 75 actual Watts there. It’s enough to grow weed, as long as there is realistic expectations about the outcome. If things go well I’d guess around a zip or so potentially.

Depending on what’s invested, I’d say not bad at all. I probably would’ve shot for one plant, and surrounded it with the lights. But that’s just me.

Best of luck with the grow @DavidJEK

4 Likes

That’s what I originally wanted, one plant. It was an accident that 2 of them took so I went with it. Each bulb is rated at 15 watts for a total of 75 watts. This is an experiment to see how little I can get buy with and still save some money. Hoping to get as much as I would get spending $40 in a cannabis store. Next grow will be with one plant. All the others that responded are suggesting lights that cost $100 or more and I don’t have that much money to spend on this project. By zip do you mean ziplock? I’m hoping to get a sandwich size ziplock full. I still have 14 seeds in storage. All those that responded seem to have quite a few going at once. Thanks for the input and I will for shure be growing one at a time. Have one clipping that I’m trying to get started so far it has grown a little, I’ll see what happens.

3 Likes

Oops, the last post was for dbrn32. Sorry

1 Like

Hey, good luck, I think you could yield an ounce or so, majority folks here are measuring draw in watts when talking about lighting, I think the lumens are more important…
Based what I see, you probably putting out 4-5 thousand lumens, thats enough to grow a plant, the bud wont be as dense and maybe not as potent as it would be outdoor, but it will be decent smoke…

Good luck

1 Like

No zip means 1 oz you can go on amain and get a decent light for $80 and probably get 3 to 4 times that yeild with a 300w led, if your just expermenting then try cfl you can get the house 23w 100w equivalent grows a mean plant and doesn’t take longer but best of luck with what ever you try

3 Likes

Sorry, by zip I mean ounce. Slang term, if you’re not familiar.

The others are just trying to share their experience with you. I’m sure nobody meant to be insulting or malicious, so I wouldn’t take it that way. Most of the people I’ve interacted with here are great, and will try to help you with anything.

Keep your plants healthy and you’ll easily exceed $40 worth. I think what the other members were trying to tell you, is that it’s a big commitment to have such low expectations. Most of the people here have some sort of medical need, or grow for some that do. So when they harvest, it needs to be enough to last until the next harvest. The mentors here teach very traditional methods in order for them to do so. It doesn’t appear that there are a lot of very small scale growers here, so they’re just not familiar with having a target harvest of a few grams.

That being said, tell us more about your grow. Are you in a grow tent there? It’s kind of hard to tell. How about any ventilation? And what strain?

I build led grow lights for myself and a few other local growers. Mostly on a larger scale than this, but I helped a guy with lights for a pc case grow a while ago. But I’ve also dabbled in converting household fixtures and bulbs to help with stuff like this. Have anything like that lying around? I’m pretty good at making something out of nothing lol. And anything you can add as far as lighting will indeed help. Especially having more than one plant.

8 Likes

@dbrn32
Very well said, indeed, there are as many different styles and growing techniques iit will work out well …

1 Like

@Everyone :slight_smile: I don’t think anyone is being mean or insulting. I just thing not many are catching on what I’m trying to do here or I’m not explaining myself very well. I guess I’m entering into a new way of doing things and it is taking some experimenting and some help. Everyone has been helpful. I do listen to what I am being told and am adapting it to my situation. Now I’m entering into the next phase and I will be asking everyone to bear with me because I will have a couple more questions.

1 Like

@DavidJEK if you have any questions or concerns @ tag me and I’ll give you my .02 cents if it’s worth a penny. Lol :+1: welcome to the forum and if someone needs to they can post a guide for you. You learn a lot reading the grow bible :+1:

1 Like

https://www.amazon.com/MEIZHI-Spectrum-Hydroponic-Greenhouse-Growing/dp/B01HFZ3PC2?tag=greenrel-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I4NY8KW/ref=asc_df_B01I4NY8KW5237947/?tag=greenrel-20

Check out these two lights on Amazon…both are under $100 @DavidJEK

@DavidJEK @Buck3 mars hydro 300w on amazon for 65$ Prime right now lol

MarsHydro 300W LED Grow Light Full Spectrum for Hydroponic Indoor Plants Growing Veg and Flower https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XC3LBI2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_HQsbAbGJAPARE

1 Like

Thanks @AmnesiaHaze! That is a good deal! :+1:

1 Like

@Buck3 your welcome friend :grimacing:

1 Like

@Buck3 @AmnesiaHaze Both of those look good. Thanks for the info. Need to save some money.

1 Like

Oh! My plants are still growing taller and they are starting the flowering stage. Is this normal? What would be a good way to limit the growth upwards?

@DavidJEK scrog or LST

Scrog or lst? I’m growing white widow.

1 Like