Exhaust into chimney?

I happen to have an unused chimney next to my tent ( in basement) and at first I planned to exhaust into the same room, but summer time rh gets excessive as it is and after researching more, I likely will need a dehumidifier. So, at this point I think it will be best to exhaust outdoors. I can easily plumb up to the chimney which will be the easiest option, but I’m wondering if ill have worry about backdraft? I do have an unused dryer vent further down the wall, but I’d rather not tap into that because Id have to reduce from 6" to 4". Thanks for any insight you may have!

2 Likes

I don’t see a problem with blowing it out the chimney

2 Likes

I have a friend that exhausts out a Chimney and he has never mentioned any problems. I use dryer vent from 6" to 4" and I’ve never had a problem. Good luck Welcome to the community

2 Likes

That’s good to know. Thanks!

2 Likes

As long as you dont want to ever go back to using the chimney shouldn’t be an issue. And only then if your’re cutting into the chimney liner or something.

1 Like

Ill never be hooking a heat source to this chimney again.

Venting outside leads to slightly higher bills is what they say. All the air you displace has to be replaced and usually it’s not with the same temp/humidity air. So you’ll be processing more than typical

2 Likes

Yup, this will work but put your home under negative pressure. Your conditioned air will flow to tent and be exhausted. Which will make things like furnace and ac run more than they would normally.

2 Likes