Exhaust fan exterior noise?

So, since I’ve not seen one run, this is the question.
A 6-8" fan exhausting directly out a basement window. How much noise/sound will the passerby hear? I’ve heard of insulating fans for interior noise but I’m wondering how loud it is on the outside/discharge side? The fan will have a carbon filter on the intake side. Thanks for any insight guys.

2 Likes

Can’t hear mine at all. Guessing its not even as loud as a clothes dryer vented outside

1 Like

If you’re running the fan directly in the window it depends on the fan and the db’s it puts out. If you’re running the fan inside and ducting out the window you’ll only hear some air movement

2 Likes

The ac infinity is super quiet and they make a muffler for them if it’s not quiet enough for you.

3 Likes

Speaking of quiet - do you mount your AC infinity to the wall or hang it?

I’ve mounted mine and I can hear it from the room above a bit. I think it’s possible the vibration more than the fan noise because it is a super quiet fan. Any thoughts?

1 Like

Buy the venting for a portable AC

2 Likes

I’ve got a 2x3 window in the basement. It’s at ground level outside.
I’m contemplating using a 11’ x 15’ corner of the basement to wall off for a grow room.
The window will be boarded off for the vent/vents discharge.
For efficiency the fan wouldn’t need much if any discharge tube, & nothing on the intake but a carbon filter. I can mount it close to the window.
Heck it might take 2 fans for that size room depending on what I’m reading.
Lights will be LED, so not quite as much heat.
Some say air replacement every minute, others say every 3 or 4 minutes.
The intake will be passive from the climate controlled basement.
Any room guys here? Are you running 8". 2-8’s, a 10"?

2 Likes

What size are you running?

2 Likes

I have mine mounted to a board that spans my closet it (the board) also supports my lights. I did put a piece of rubber about 1/8th of an inch thick between the fan & the board when I mounted it not knowing how quiet it would be & not being able to get to it till after harvest if it wasn’t.

2 Likes

I’m running a 6” cloudline s series.

3 Likes

Yeah that’s what alof of the experience growers use

1 Like

I have a 10x12 basement grow room with pretty much the same set up. I run a 6” Vivosun fan out my basement window the noise is negligible, you could mistake it easily for a dryer vent discharging. The 6” bows my inner walls in enough (foil backed styrofoam ) that I had to add a 4” intake fan to offset the pressure.

5 Likes

Right on! Thanks for the real world info. My eyes are crossed from reading reviews.
Question. If your intake was passive could you not move enough air? Meaning was the intake fan a must-do?

2 Likes

A passive intake worked “ok”, but I found out that adding an intake fan changed over the air much faster than trying to pull it through

3 Likes

Use a 4 6 or 8 inch dryer vent. All will think u r washing clothes all the time. Just always have on fresh clothes when u walk out the door lol. Pot o luck laundromat lol

3 Likes

I’ve got a 3 x 5 tent with passive intake and My 6” ac infinity bows the fabric walls of my tent in some. Before my next round of flowering I’m Going to take a piece of 4 inch ducting and snake it through the outside of the tent for a free-er flowing passive intake.

The idea of some rubber sheet between the fan and the mounting surface is a good one.

1 Like

@CC_Mo I have not turned it on yet but I bought the AC infinity 6" T series for my flower room I am building and I already had a inline 6" feeding fresh outside air to my original flower room and I will be re routing it to my new flower room and I will let you know how the AC 6" does exhausting my room with 6" inline constant fresh outside air feeding into the opposite bottom side of the room as soon as I get it hooked up today been waiting on my power strip to come in the mail suppose to be here today. :v:

3 Likes

I have all infinity 6". Great inline fans!!

1 Like

Yeah super stoked about this one I bought should help with it having the controller.

Cool! I was just looking at your pics of the new wall covering. I know that’s more efficient than flat white paint but I wonder how much? Did you do it mostly for light refraction or for keeping moisture away from the drywall?

1 Like