Exhaust and Humidity

Hopefully what I am going to ask makes sense.

Ideally I would like to vent my room outside, which I have done by connecting the exhaust of my room to my dryer vent. My issue is I have a 6"exhaust fan that cuts down to 4" to meet the dryer vent. It is also like a 30’ run. Not very efficient.

Without coming up with a smaller run to vent outside, is there any sort of filter or something I can add to my exhaust to kill the humidity, that way I can exhaust into my actual lung room? Obviously running a dehumidifier would work, but it would just be a never ending cycle.

Any ideas? Or is trying to come up with a shorter run to the outdoors the real solution?

1 Like

Could you just bypass this and vent into your attic? Something like this.

4 Likes

I have a 6" to 4" reducer to dryer vent at the point it exists outside. I’ve never had a problem.
:+1::v:

1 Like

If you have a window close, you can hook up a window vent and attach the duct.

2 Likes

@Loudman

Unfortunately Im in the basement. It would be quite the run into the attic

@kellydans

I dunno if its the length of the run or what, but I had to have my 6"fan on high and it was a struggle to keep up.

@Borderryan22

No window :frowning:

1 Like

If you don’t mind the cost could put in a 6” booster fan or two to keep the air moving outside at a steady pace. Amazon has them for 20-30 each.

2 Likes

Keep your vent line straight as possible. I use a 4x4 tent , medium speed on Exhaust fan will keep up And maintain negative pressure inside tent. ( 6" Exhaust fan) What size space we talking about ?

2 Likes

@The_Cannabowlist

I’ll check it out!

@kellydans

It about 4’ x 8’.i use about 4’x4’ to actively grow. The remaining space is storage

2 Likes

@dmykins 6 inch Exhaust fan should maintain a 4x4 without a any Issues. Check and make sure your filter’s not plugged up. Remove filter, run fan see how much flow you have.

2 Likes

I agre with mike☝️
Add an extra booster fan or two in between your 30 feet
Maybe one booster every 10 ft should help just fine.

3 Likes

Running the exhaust into the ling room is gonna create issues more than u think u have now. Less cow for the plants as it’s getting the same recirculating air more rh as the rh is just gonna be a swirling circle. Better off venting outside. Is it rh an issue or what’s the main concern??

1 Like

Oh and ac infinity has 6 inch raxial fans with control knobs for like 30 bucks I believe it was. One of them half way down the line will prolly be good enough as a booster

I have no window as well and have to use CO2 Enhancer just to keep my plant growing normally because of lack of ventilation. I suspect around harvest time I will run into the same problem.
I have an efficiency with no windows and am trying to figure out a way to vent my tent outside as well.
My idea is to attach my flex hose to the exhaust vent above my stove, I hope that works.

1 Like

Is moving your setup closer to the dryer an option to shorten the length of hose??

1 Like

@Daniel578

Not really. I actually built a room in the basement, not using a tent. I will try a couple booster fans. I am going to run 3 plants this go round so that may helps some of the humidity levels.

@Mark0427

Humidity more than anything. Heat too, but mostly humidity.

During my last run in flower I was battling keeping it in the mid to low 60’s.

As stated above, I run it to my dryer vent, but that means I go from 6" to 4", and it’s like a 25’ run.

Hmmm. Running more plants is gonna kick the rh up even more for ya with all the greenery that’s gonna come with it. So to keep the rh down ur gonna have to see about getting the heat in the room a bit higher to lower the rh in the room. Rh is not an issue til u hit flower and basically have buds. When the buds form is when the mold mildew and rot will come in to play. So if u turn lights on full power in the tent or room closed up leave fans off as long as there is no plant there leave all off but lights for 2 or 3 hours of possible and see what the temp and rh get up to. After u see 2 or 3 hrs of that then add the exhaust fan pulling out the old air and see what that brings to the room. U can throw some soaking wet towels on the floor inside to act as some rh from plants to add the slight bit of rh to the room like plants being in there. Get a feel of the room with and without exhaust so u can see what happens with and without exhaust to see where u get the better numbers. Play around with the room tilmu can get into a set numbers for both that u think u can work with. Less chances of wasting seeds if u have all this figured out prior to seed drop. Good luck I’ll be here watching.

1 Like

@Mark0427

Yea, last grow I did 4 plants. This time in going to go with 3 and see the changes.

1 Like

So how was the last grow. What issues did u run into then with the setup u have now?? Anything drastic u notice now that happened then that u see needs changed?? A dehumidifier in the lung room will most likely be required if rh seems to be a problem when lights out tent closed up maybe try cutting the exhaust fan down low and see if that helps. Might hold a Lil more heat in and less rh doing so. I find with my exhaust if I have it over 2 right now it raises the rh massive like from 46 to 54 quick like. My dehumid is set at 30% and turns off in the house but the room will shoot up quick if exhaust runs too hard. Might be as simple for u to cut the fan almost off for a bit to see what rh settles at

1 Like

@Mark0427

I was growing 2 plants in a tent originally and everything was fine. I decided to actually build a dedicated room and went with four plants. During flower my humidity was fairly high 65-70. I have a fan blowing through the stems/lower part and a larger fan on the upper buds.

I have tow HLG and a Chilledtech light. I had the two HLG next to each other and they threw off some heat, the plants under those lights under full power was upper 80’s, which was a bit more than I wanted.

The grow was successful, no mold or anything, just trying to make it easier for next run.

I think I’m going to grab a 4" booster fan and see how that goes.

It’s winter now, so humidity won’t be an issue.