Excited newbie here! 4x4 indoor

Awesome thanks for all of your help… now the real question is the wife going to kill me for the smell? :joy::rofl::joy:. Going to get a 50 gal tub for mixing up the soil and extras, my solo cups and ph up down in a little bit… I’m way too excited haha anything else I need from Wally World for this week? Lol

3 Likes

You’ll be safe for a few months with the funky smelling goodness and not need that carbon filter until then. If you’re top feeding I would suggest some pot saucers for run off and pot risers so they don’t sit in the run off and wick those expelled salts and minerals back into the root mass :love_you_gesture:

3 Likes

Ask away, use @ and my name so I see it. I use tap water everyday on my plants.

4 Likes

congrats on beginning this journey of home growing!
lots of great grow advice here already, i’ll not pile on but id like to suggest that when you start getting overwhelmed, and thatll happen at least once if not a thousand times, just step away for a sec and take a deep breath.
growing your own doesn’t have to be hard and you can do it!
i am currently waiting on a couple of seeds to pop myself, starting up another staggered autoflower grow and im spending some time diving into the forums here.
looking forward to following along with you on this journey here!

2 Likes

i do as well, i used distilled water for a couple of grows but it got to be too costly for my taste.

Awesome!! Thanks to all of you!! I read so many ppl using different water and was afraid I needed to use something other than tap… clearly an over thinker like a few others lol @Highwayman420 @fastflowers thanks for the reassurance… going to get ph up and down now… petco has one for fish tanks I can use till General hydro one gets here? @OGIncognito are you inside my head?? Lol I’m looking at using a metal shelf I found in the garage and then sliding some plastic bins under so I can slide out to dump… getting reciprocating blades today also haha

1 Like

I wouldn’t wish that on anyone :joy::joy::love_you_gesture:.
Solid plan on the set up for the run off!

1 Like

Have you checked your tap water TDS? Good tap water can’t be beat and personally prefer it over distilled or RO, no minerals in those and will have to supplement calcium and magnesium :love_you_gesture:

1 Like

What I do as a sort of safety net for tap water is vent it off using a 5 gallon bucket, aquarium air pump, tubing and air stone. Just hook it all up and drop the stone in the water overnight. Helps vent off some of the harsher chemicals, not gonna get it all out but better then just tap.

4 Likes

:point_up_2::point_up_2::muscle: nice Brother :love_you_gesture:

2 Likes

TDS?? Lol I have a meter for it gonna have to calibrate that and the ph reader tonight and figure out what it is I guess… shooting for 400 or less is that right? Something about e/c also not very knowledgeable here… ppm is another one I know what they are short for haha but that’s where my research will go today at work… also looks like cal/mag is a general add on for most anyway it seems… I like the bucket idea it’s how I envision it at first… but perhaps down the road a bit

1 Like

So I mixed about half a bag of the OF and CL in my tub… everything is here except the worm castings and perilite… are these important in the solo cup stage? I’m hoping everything comes while I’m at work says it’s supposed to be here today… said that yesterday too… also got this ph kit for aquarium that should work until the other arrives? Also when I get home marks 24 hours of incubation in water… so… I can plant them in the cups and set up the light? I’ve seen this is how hellraiser does it… should I put in wet towel and wait for tail?

2 Likes

TDS and PPMS are the same as far checking the your tap,nutrient solution, run off etc. EC will be your PPMS x 2. 800 PPMs of mixed nutrient solution would have an EC of 1.6. High TDS on your tap will factor into your numbers for mixing your nutrients. I’m so low at 40 that I don’t worry about it. Curious to see what yours is and what a 1/2 of RO water would be. 200 would be a good reading if your tap is over 300.

1 Like

You can do either honestly. I like the paper towel method so I know if they crack or not. However a lot of very experienced growers just go straight to the cup.

1 Like

So a suggestion here. OF is very hot soil. I’d for sure check ppms before thinking of feeding nutrients in 3-4 weeks. Also you have to use the coco ph levels since you mixed heavily with coco…if I’m not mistaken. Someone please correct me if I’m off.

Indeed thanks for catching that but don’t plan on feeding any bites for atleast a month it looks like!! Thinking about going Advanced Nutrients direction over FF which is what I was going to do… AN seems so easy an idiot like me can’t mess up lol

1 Like

Good stuff just pricey. Jacks 321 is cheaper and easy. Great results. Get a 2lb bag off eBay for like $40. And no more having to use calmag.

2 Likes

Sorry 4lbs for $26

3 Likes

I feel like I better play with them a bit so I understand the formula better but I get the concept now thanks… ok so RO… how does one go about that? I have heard good things about it and that’s what hellraiser uses also I noticed but haven’t researched it yet. I think the other package arrived also so I can’t wait to get out of work lmao :rofl:

2 Likes

Got it, I thought you were going to mix RO or was it Distilled? Hopefully you want need either :pray:. I learned by just mixing a gallon as a test, I would pour that into a pot of my medium that I was going to use. I would catch a little run off and play with my TDS and PH pen and jot the numbers down. I learned a tremendous amount by lurking growers like @AfgVet @Bulldognuts @merlin44 @Capt.Cola and a few that have moved on :love_you_gesture:

4 Likes