Excessive Lighting for 2' x 4' x 6' Grow Tent?

Hello all,

I purchased the galaxy legacy digital ballast as well as a SunSystems 6" air-cool Blockbuster Hood. I plan on using a 400W metal halide for the vegetation stage and a 1000w HPS for the flowering stage, however I have the following questions:

1. Would it be better to use a 600 W for the vegetation stage? What would the difference be from using 400w?

2. Will a 1000watt HPS light be too much for a 2 x 4 x 6 tent? Will I get the same results with a more efficient 600W HPS light?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thank you.

more light means less leggy but also breeds some more difficulties like temp and humidity control

Agreed. Cannabis can withstand high light conditions but the internodal space is reduces leaving less room for strong colas to develop. Plus the bulb and ballast raise the heat and lower the humidity.
All of these issues can be addressed but I find that specialized LED Gro Lights are a better long term investment with fewer problems.
Regardless, knowing the tent you are using, I think that 600 watts will be sufficient and 1000 a bit of overkill.

Thank you for the insight.

It’s important to note that I will be trying to exhaust the air out of the tent to cool down the temperature and control humidity. If 600w HPS is sufficient to flower, then I will go for that. That way, I won’t have to fight heat too much and I can focus on plants.

As for LED grow lights, I would be using them if it were not for the cost. CaliGreen uses a nice one in this grow - - YouTube

Thank you again.

I didn’t see what wattage the ballast was. I think they are supposed to match though. Someone who knows more about hps and mh might could say better.