Ethyl Acetate vs Ethanol extraction

I would like to extract some oil using the quick wash ethanol method.
Ethyl Acetate is used in the Food industry for extraction. I would use EtOH (Everclear), but not so easy to get hold of in South Africa.
Does anyone have any experience with Ethyl Acetate, or any comments?
I believe the process would be the same as for EtOH.

2 Likes

No idea, but I want to know as well.

Based on the common usage (coffee bean decaffeinating etc) and it being low toxicity the only concern I would have would be how easily it evaporates and whether it’s hydroscopic (might cause some drying issues).

I say give it a shot!

1 Like

Thanks for that. It’s boiling point is just lower than that of Ethanol (at around 77°C/171°F).
Polarity wise also quit the same (will extract chlorophyll). At 99.9% and a good price, it sure looks like a good option.
Also no extra tax like on ethanol!

Ok. So after doing extensive searching on the web about the use of Ethyl Acetate for oil extraction of Cannabis the following:
Polarity and solubility wise it should be preferred to Ethanol (less polar and not readily soluble in water (8.3%)).
It seems that it is more difficult to obtain and more expensive than “EverClear” in some countries.
It will extract some chlorophyll from the plant material.

Another question on Extraction
If you extract dry cannabis material, the solvent penetrates the plant material and get into contact with the plant waxes and chlorophyll more easily.
If “wet” cannabis material (not dried) is used, and the solvent is less polar than ethanol and does not dissolve easily in water, surely the water inside the plant cells would prevent it from entering and getting to the wax and chlorophyll.
If we then accept that almost all of the cannabinoids and Terpenes are located in the trichomes on the epidermis of the plant, then an solvent would be able to extract these without having to enter the rest of the plant material, limiting the extraction of waxes and other undesirable compounds inside the cells (including chlorophyll).

What am I missing?
Any comments?

1 Like

Man, no opinion. But sounds promising. Please keep it going.

Thanks
I have read on the net that some guys doing extraction (EtOh and ISO) mentioned that they would prefer to do Ethyl Acetate extraction, but could not readily get hold of it and that it is quit expensive.
Here in SA I can get it cheaper and more easily than 96% Ethanol.

2 Likes

Not sure how far you have gotten on this topic, but it is also something I am looking to try.

Ethyl-Acetate has near identical extraction efficiency as ethanol.

But it’s lack of -OH group as seen in Et-OH lends itself some interesting properties.

While having similar boiling points, ethyl-acetate has 4x the vapor pressure as ethanol. As such, it is reclaimed on a rotovap at 4x the rate. It is crazy to watch how fast it boils off.

The lack of -OH group also means it doesn’t bond with as much water or other undesirables during extraction, mainly chlorophyll.

Dr. Tyrell Towle has already patented the extraction method in the US. So if you’re using it here, you’re paying him a royalty. But in other countries, give it a go.

1 Like

Hi Throwaway

Using Ethyl Acetate as an extraction solvent is well known in the Food and Beverage Industry (Hons. BSc Food Science, 30+years exp.).

So much for patenting “a method”.

Yes, it has many advantages over Et-OH. As long as you ensure to get rid of the residue, it’s perfectly safe.

Regards

Hi there, I’m making some extract and I had previously used 99% iso since then I’ve run out and couldn’t get any (as it can be used in making bombs or something so is harder to find in uk). I found a iso and ethyl acetate mix. And I got really watery results instead of a sticky resin like I would when I just used iso. Is there anything I could be doing wrong? I’m a bit hands on so I have tasted the product and can’t taste any chemicals or smell any