Estimating Electricity Cost

Wanted to check to see if I’m calculating power cost correctly.

If I pull 600-watts from the wall, and have a fixed electricity price of $0.102/kw, running 18- hours/day start to finish (auto’s), is this the math?

.6kw/hr x 18 hrs/day=10.8kw/day
10.8kw@.102/kw=$1.1016 a day
x120 days=$132.20 lighting cost for the grow.

Is this math right?

I bet @dbrn32 knows how to get this one right.

1 Like

Looks like the math checks out. Keep in mind this is just electric usage and doesn’t factor in all the hidden electrical fees.

4 Likes

Yes its correct,
.6 x.102 = .0612 or 6.12 cents/hr
6.12 x 18 x 120 gives you $132.19
cutting to 12 hrs/day it becomes $88.13

4 Likes

Thanks buds!

1 Like

That’s correct.

Like Bobbydigital said, there is usually some delivery and service fees that come along with. Sometimes discounts or penalties for extra usage.

2 Likes

You may also save a few pennies running lights at night and not during peak daylight hours. Good luck

2 Likes

I am running two tents with LEDs - one for veg and flowering. My elec bill increased about $60 a month from before I started farming.

1 Like

You can cut electric cost down even further IF you run your lights at night and reserve the
daytime for your sleeping hours.

Most municipalities have a peek and off peek time cost of energy. If you run your lights throughout the night and put your plants to sleep during the day, you can cut that cost by as
much as 33% by utilizing the off-peek electricity price.

My own personal bill had a $11.00 dollar difference when running all night. My electric bill total
is more dependable than the sun itself. My electric bill has been within .50 cents of each other for almost 24 straight months. When I started growing last August my electric bill
came in and that’s when I started to run nights instead of all day for peek pricing.