Electricity Usage and Law Enforcement Case Study

Bitcoin mining sucks up a LOT of electricity. I run 2 GPUs mining 24/7 and it sucks up about 400 watts. Between the HLG lights and mining, it could attract attention, but isn’t likely to. My power draw between mining rigs and lights is probably between 800 to 900 watts.

I still wouldn’t worry too much. You don’t hear of this very often, and this guy had 120 mining rigs that probably sucked up around 30 megawatts of electricity, which would certainly attract attention.

3 Likes

That sucks they got caught, but the story is funny :smile: I’ve thought about my wattage usages a few times but would like to think that here in the US they can’t just randomly watch usages without a warrant but we all know they do.
I don’t know shit about mining bitcoin but I sold and tripled a $100 bill in the market on ripple (XRP) last week, that’s one of those “damn I wish I would have had the balls to put the whole wad on that one” lol hindsight right!! I missed the sell on my weed stock when it went so high I held it thinkin it would get “higher” lol pun intended :sweat_smile: now it’s just staying flat

4 Likes

One of our sons lives in a house we own and he is doing some major remodeling. This past winter he decided to pull all of the drywall and all of the insulation from a big portion of the exterior walls. Not a great move in January and zero degree temperatures. (taking advantage of covid layoff) Received a message from the utility co stating there was a significant increase in electric usage this coming month. Ok I just thought it might be 2-3 hundred $$. Oh no. More like $700. Ouch! He reinsulated in a hurry.

3 Likes

They gotta watch. They send me papers all the time showing i use double what the houses around me use. Do u want us to send out someone to show u how to better use ur energy in a more effective way address.bad windows ect. I told the lady at dte i said i run a few small grow lights and window ac units of course my bill will be higher just because of the ac unots and every1 around me has central or no ac so i dont believe i need help lol. I told her to go jelp the ppl who dont pay the bills and have super high bills. My electric bill is not that bad tho between w and 300 a month summer is a touch mpre with airs going but dam hundreds of pcs running. And no arrests i bet they were all shipping their pants when popo showed up

3 Likes

A friends wife works at ameren and she said the police don’t monitor or watch usage but, utilities have been known to rat on people that are using a lot and suspected of illegal ops.although in this changing atmosphere of legalization its pretty much unheard of for them to call cops due to electric usage.

4 Likes

Agree , even down here in NZ power companies nark out high or strange power consumption. It worried the missus enough that I had to install gas hot water system before she was cool with an indoor grow. Was a near instant reduction of 68% , add cooking all meats on bbq in all weather and hunting down rogue appliance chargers and standby lights 70% reduction can be achieved or pushed into other things :wink:

2 Likes

We have a 40x60 shop building on the same meter with welders and table saws and milling machine so I could say the shop causing the high usage, but all the lighting except for my 6x8 grow is all led so even with the hid lights running full blast our bill still under 200 bucks.
On another note I believe a company that makes the building automation controls is from there. Innotech. I was introduced to their line several years back and they’re my favorite. The local dealer here said next time he goes to their facility I’m going. Maybe next year.

2 Likes

Hi Leholf
I am just across the ditch from you.
I turned my electric hot water off so my power consumption is the same.
Cold showers for me,I am use to it now.

2 Likes

Hey mate sorry for delay , so many threads to catch up on , yea there’s a few other little tricks and methods to reduce consumption. Tag me into your journal please mate @Indicabomb