// Egmont Outdoor // mystery strain in the PNW

Okay, I ordered the 15 gal smarties. Hopefully that will take me thru flower! Guess I’ll need to pick up more base soil and castings because I don’t think I’ll be getting away with the 1/2 recipe for super soil anymore!

I am still tempted to do one 30-45 gallon plant just for kicks

1 Like

Here are some shots of the bushier girls and the lst bondage going on underneath, as well as the pH issues I’m seeing pop back up now.
IMG_20190603_184756|375x500

4 Likes

Great choice, you may want to look for a cart to roll them under shelter if needed, or slide them.

1 Like

I’m not sure but I’m seeing a lot of white powdery looking mildew in the above pictures on the leaves…anyone else seeing that?

1 Like

@Skydiver, good eye!

Diatomaceous Earth maybe?

Mine with DE

I’m not sure what Cac lime is exactly…if it’s quick lime I wouldn’t use it. You want a slow release long term peletized dolomite lime to mix into soil for long term buffering of the Ph. Should be readily available at hardware stores and farm supply etc and cheap too.
Google types of lime for growing herb etc.
I picked some up at Ace hardware for $5-$6 for a 40lb ? Bag

1 Like

Hey @AAA hope all is well…
Yep Could be DTE…
Also could be the 1 part milk to 4 parts water to change the Ph on the leaves to more basic to fight the mildew…can look like that after it dries…
Or could be powdery mildew…lol
Only @growtus can tell us for sure…

1 Like

Never heard of the milk thang!

You would think adding milk would only make more mildew. Learn everyday.

Anyways, good eye.

1 Like

That is, in fact, DE! Sorry, should have mentioned that since it looks bad.

Calcium carbonate it’s what I was referring to with CaC. I do have dolomite on the way but I’ve been toying with powdered CaC in rain water to adjust pH up. I have had success with it, so I hope to see improvement in those wrinkly plants new growth. I checked runoff yesterday and was in range all around where before I had pH dropping under 6 in some cases

Top man. Glad its not WPM.

You and me both

So the dolomite lime I have on the way is powdered - is it essential to have granular? I imagine the powder would need amending over time - which id prefer to avoid. for some reason, I am having a hard time finding granular dolomitic lime on amazon. everything i seem to find is hydrated or fast acting.

is garden lime similar?

i want to be sure I have this right when its time to mix it up this weekend. (@Skydiver)

what type of lime did you end up with @AAA?

Also - would oyster shell be a good substitute?

I think using powdered would be fine.
Oyster shells would also work great.
Crushed slower release
Powdered a little faster release.

This is what I used:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KH2LDM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_8S79CbSJCVV4W

Jumping the gun here, and onto a different topic than repotting…

Light “leaks” in an outdoor grow.

I’ve always wondered if ambient or incidental light pollution would cause issues in a crop outside in a backyard or otherwise.

I live in a normal type neighborhood and there is the odd floodlight 50 -100ft around us that spreads minimal, even faint light thru the fence. We also have some of those garden type bulb string lights that go on when we take the dog out back. Very fast falloff but does slightly illuminate the plants area.

How much should I do to inhibit light penetration to the plants in flower to reduce the chance of stress and herms?

@AAA, do you deal with this issue in your yard?

No real issues, I unscrewed our exterior light bulbs and told my wife they are burnt out(take special bulbs).

If possible, you could turn off the dog lights and you really can’t do anything about the flood light, and 50-100 feet sounds very faint.

2 Likes

Thanks @AAA. I’ll probably put in some light blockers and maybe switch to blue/green lights for night time potty trips for the dog.

Back to the repotting subject…

15 gal smarties came today. I’m excited and scared at the same time. They look huge. Can’t imagine 30.

4 Likes

Here is my male that I’d like to isolate and collect pollen from…

I am thinking I might even just clone it and keep it as small as possible. Does that make sense or would it better to prune the hell out of it and leave one or two bud sites?

3 Likes

Clone or prune works. I would clone if it were me. You have plenty of time to get it rooted and growing. That way you don’t have to pot up on that male right now. Once clone is established, kill the male. Take 2-4 clones just in case.