I’m growing outdoor in N. Oregon from reg seeds. Here’s a little background:
The beans were from a dispensary here, but the genetics are apparently from BC Bud Depot and there is VERY little info about this strain out there. I was basically being a cheapskate and got them because of their low price. The fact that they are a canadian outdoor hybrid, heavier on the sativa end (70/30) was a definite plus for me. If you know anything about this strain, please share!
papertowel germ’d 10 Egmont Outdoor seeds.
100% germ rate - tap water/tupperware on top of my cable modem for heat
from sprout to ~ 4 nodes under cheapo blue LED lights @ 18/6 in a basement until the nighttime outdoor temps rose, eventually moving all of them outside in mid May.
gender ratio: 80% female.
chopped the weaker male of two and plan on attempting to prune, isolate and collect pollen from the sturdy one for selective bud seeding. (more on this later, i have many questions).
soil medium and potting:
Soil mix: FFOF, 30-50% added perlite
Nutes: FF trio and some homemade eggshell calcium acetate / epsom mag.
I have been pretty disappointed with FFOF (my first time growing in this soil mix) because of some wild pH swings I have been recording. Admittedly, I can take the blame for some of it, having bought a very cheap pH meter and not truly grasping the rationale the first few weeks of testing runoff (@dbrn32, @Bobbydigital @WickedAle can all attest to my ignorance - thanks for the patience, guys)
I started them in 4in sq pots and potted up to 1 gal once they started showing roots in the drainage holes - then once again to 5 gallon pots, probably a hair too early. I didn’t start feeding them until after they settled into their 5gal homes because the FFOF is known to be pretty hot and some here have gone nute-less through flowering in that soil mix.
LST since about 4 weeks old, attempting to bush them out as much as possible - not really for any reason other than I enjoy it. Height isn’t really an issue in my space out back. That said, there was a plant stolen from a neighbor’s yard last year, so I guess I cant be too careful (fkin tweakers!) Some of them have a really great rollercoaster look on the main stem. I have accidentally topped two and purposefully tried out FIMMing one for fun. I have lots of growth nodes to play with from the LST.
As mentioned, I have come across some pretty nasty pH issues; wrinkled and deformed leaves and a completely runted plant for what seems like months. Half of the plants didn’t seem to even notice and kept growing without any signs of distress… the other half, however, have been struggling off and on. After I potted up to 5gals back in late april, I got a handle on the pH and growth took off. Even the runt started coming back to life. The plan is to move to a supersoil mix for the next and final transplant.
That brings me to now - I have a pretty decent little hedge coming up in the back yard. The runt has broken out and started making a run at it, the rest are filling out nicely - some are really really bushing out, others are slowly filling up.
Its pretty interesting to see the differences, little and big, in the plants of the same stock. I will have to document that here in photos later.
But for now - thanks for reading and to those of you who have answered my multitude of questions simple and complicated - thank you for all the help so far!
here’s a chronological stream of photos of the grow so far! (sorry for the shite photography)