Eggs and Bananas and Coffee oh my

Stuff you might be throwing away in the trash can become free organic nutrients for your ladies!

Did I mention FREE?
Did I mention ORGANIC?

Hope this helps

HAGD

15 Likes

@Skydiver great information I have been using banana peel tea for my whole grow. Crushed egg shells around my plant also keeps out snails and slugs.

2 Likes

I’ve often wondered about coffee.
Seems to be mixed opinions out there.

https://curiosity.com/topics/whatever-you-do-dont-put-coffee-grounds-in-your-garden-curiosity/

3 Likes

Thanks for the info @Drinkslinger
No wonder my worms aren’t getting bigger in my worm farm because I mix grounds in their feed.
Yep many varying thoughts…the article you referenced has some studies to corroborate.

HAGD

I noticed some issues in soil I mixed coffee grounds into. I turned up lots of differing evidence.

Following thanks for posting

1 Like

The only thing I put coffee grounds on is my blueberry plants.

2 Likes

@Skydiver very interesting read,

So I guess Coffee grounds are good for a compost pile that will be there a year or so, But not to put on or mix with your plants? Did I read that right? Can someone correct me if i am wrong. Thanks

2 Likes

I’m still not clear on that either @kw_Bat
I do know that like most things in moderation should not be harmful but there are many other things you can use besides coffee grounds…like regular coffee not necessarily the flavored foo foo coffees as don’t know what else is in those.
I’ll most likely just use them outside and in the feed mix for my worm farm.

3 Likes
3 Likes

My roses seem to love my coffee. I would not use it in my garden or houseplants because it’s acidic.

2 Likes

I add coffee grounds to my compost and use after 6 months to allow for decomposition of toxic components, my sunshine grown pot is healthy and fabulous :boom:

read on…

4 Likes

great masterclass…thank you :smiley:

2 Likes

We have 2 compost heaps ( really compost bins, but heaps is more fun to say ) where every cooked and raw scrap goes. The funny thing is, our neighbors on both sides are now trained to dump their lawn clippings in our heaps! They are grossed out by the food scraps (they don’t drink, just the idea), so they never want to use the compost! SCORE!!! :grin:
I have an amazing garden (flowers and veg).
I used some in the last month as top dressing for my indoor little grow. It was my first grow. It seemed to me that the plants preference was for compost rather than fertilizer. My opinion!
I’m one of those who would love a nice self-composting toilet inside. My husband is not. A girl can dream. :rabbit::sparkling_heart:

8 Likes

I have heard and seen several articles that people swear by putting an egg and a banana at the bottom of the hole filling it with 6-10" of soil and then planting your plants. I had thought about giving this a whirl, if I can find the time to. I was thinking about taking a 20-25 gallon cloth pots putting several inches of soil in it 1 egg, 1 banana and filling the rest of the pot up and letting it set until spring and then put one of the plants that I intend to grow outside into the pot and see what happens

3 Likes

I’ve also heard of putting a fish head at the bottom.

3 Likes

I have heard the same. My understanding is that the Native American Indians used to do that

2 Likes

I’m considering using a post hole digger on my outside boxes and dropping fish heads down in the holes.

I’m guessing whole fish would work just fine but that the head was a waste byproduct so that’s why it’s used traditionally.

3 Likes

That’s my understanding also

Rotting fish produces nitrogen and food for bacteria to produce micronutrients.

4 Likes