Effect of incidental, artificial light after flowering begins?

In which the sun does do, earth science coming back, longest day in my woods is of course first dsy of summer. Thus from 21 june, the dsylight hours commence to shorten by minutes everyday.

Eventually triggering flowering later.

1 Like

Thanks to all for the input. Very helpful.

Welcome to the forum, please, come back and share some pics

In terms of par, no it’s not. It just seems bright to you. Moonlight at ground level has pretty much no measurable radiometric energy. This is why plabts tolerate it without issue.

I agree with a lot of the stuff you’re saying here, but these two comments are really off base and out of context. An interruption in lighting should not automatically cause a hermaphrodite. You can veg plants on 24 hours light or 2 hours light prioor to being mature, won’t herm either way or anywhere in between. The plant has to be mature and producing flowers, from there it could be any stress that causes hermaphrodite. In this case with lights, the light just has to be of enough intensity and any wavelength that will create plant response. Random bits of additional darkness don’t typically do this.

But I will 100% agree that genetically some strains are much more resistant to going hermaphrodite than others. Making feminized seeds for instance, is basically introducing hermaphrodite into genetic makeup. The people who do it well are pretty good at keeping it from being huge issue, but genetically is still there.

2 Likes

I agree, but to be clear I was saying these things did not cause hermaphrodism, I would suggest that the amount if light that we perceive as humans can seem much brighter that what a plant responds to. In addition, I also suggested that the hermie trait is predominantly a genetic one, it isnt un natural, nor is it man made. Its a thing plants do to ensure they have offspring no matter the pressures they are under. Obviously fires and hurricanes and stuff moot that but you get my drift. The common misconception is that lighting that is at a great distance, such as a street lamp is capable of hermaphroditing a plant, I would argue that the plant would need very strong tendency toward hermaphrodism in the first place. I also firmly believe that plants that have strong hermie tendency should not be in a breeding program. All seed from a hermie plant should be grown only for bud and not for seed.
The reason I say the things about the moon and street lamps is because people are affraid they will ( cause ) hermaphrodism. My intent is to dispell that myth and bring some actual cases that disprove it. Lots of pot gets hit by headlights from cars, flashlights, full moons, and lightning flashes… which by the way are stupid bright! Like blindingly bright, and still my plants are not showing bananas.

Last outdoor grow we had our motion activated lights, the neighbors’ lights, sometimes light from our house, and a street light. No hermies. We found a few seeds but I blame the dude five doors down and his stupid hemp patch for possible pollination.

1 Like

Thanks @JaneQP good to know.

1 Like

Thanks @Mosca

Compared to the pics of the monster trees and orchards, my three little girls and tiny in comparison. Healthy and strong but petite.

2 Likes