Ebb and Flow 4 Plants NL,PP,CK,JH

I’ve seen it both ways. Some just tuck others actually weave. Some super crop them over. It’s all preference. So try a few different things and see which works best for you.

3 Likes

So when they say Weave that actually mean Weave? I thought it was code for tuck it under LOL Ok i will play around see what i prefer when the time comes. Thanks @DoobieNoobie

2 Likes

Yep most I’ve seen let it grow above then go back under and let the top poke back above. The plant will then turn the top back up towards the light. I think method probably comes down more to how much space you have to work with. But it’ll be a fun experiment you can do a few branches each way and see if it effects yield and also which way is easier for you. And you’re welcome. Glad to help when I can.

3 Likes

So this system keeps adding things lol. When i went to drain the res tank it was tough to get all the water out. Because of where the bulkhead sits it leaves like a full gallon of water in the bottom. So i went and got a bottom draw water pump to pump out my old solution. It will take the tank down to 1/2 inch of water on the bottom. I am concerned about that left over feed. Will it eventually effect the grow because i am going to just add new feed water to the tank so that left over will be mixed in. 1 grower said its a common question about the res tank and he assured me it will not effect much of the nutrient solution. I thought i would do this on the cheap but Murphy said “NOPE” have to keep adding things to the system but now i should be golden.

3 Likes

@Bogleg How often do you flood your table? I read that you only need to flood like 2 times a day. I have been flooding every 3 hours and wonder if that is to often. How many times a day do you flood your table?

2 Likes

I have a similar problem with draining. To combat it I drain it then add 5 gallons of tap water and drain again. Haven’t had any problems with that method yet.

2 Likes

That is what i was thinking of doing was doing like a rinse to get the majority of old nutrient solution from the res tank. I think next season i am going to do is just a little different and run a hose from res tank to table and back to res tank but keep my tank outside so i can monitor the ph better its a little tough measuring the ph on a daily basis with the flood table sitting right on the res tank.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s definitely easier with it off to the side or something.

1 Like

On my current grow I’ve been flooding every two hours with the lights on, so 6 times per day. Probably more than I currently need, but I tried flooding fewer times per day and had issues (at least when the plants were little). I upped the frequency of the flood cycle when they were small because of the issues I was having, and haven’t had any issues under the current schedule, so I’ve just left it alone.

Last grow I only flooded twice per light period (but I was using one gallon pots of expanded clay last grow, this grow I am using 4" net pots hanging on a lid).

3 Likes

Nice ebb and flow system. It will be fun to watch. Good luck on your grow. I am sure we will be seeing massive buds. :grinning:

3 Likes

I have been flooding every 4 hours. I did a bit of research threw the week and since i am growing in Rock Wool Cubes i only need to flood twice a day they hold tons of water for the plant to grow with. I just started to feed this way so i don’t know how it will effect the plants. 1 has seemed to stop growing i don’t know what the issue is so if it dies then so be it the other 3 are rockin. I will just scrog differently to fill the space if this plant does not make it.

1 Like

The problem is that you might have been giving your plants too much water. They like to dry out some. The roots like to take in oxygen and can’t if the water is still wrapped around the roots. It is why perlite is so important to a soil grow. Your plants do look great and the system looks like a well constructed one. Give the change some time and you will see the results. At least that is what I have been learning. I am by no means an expert but I think you have hit on the issue. Some plants can take more or they are drinking enough to dry out the medium but some might not have enough time to drink between feeds.

3 Likes

yeah i was reading that also i have since changed it for 2 reason 1 is for the reason you sighted @Oldsoldier1976 and i think i drown 1 already. The other 3 look good so far this one looked good up until 2 days ago when it just stopped growing. I was reading that i flood to often that its like a starve and feast method. So i have cut down my flood to 2 times per day 6am and 6pm. I think it will make a difference. Well at least not kill the other 3 but i don’t think i am going to have a problem they look really healthy. I have grown the power plant the jack and the northern light already and wouldn’t you know it the one that might be dying is the critical kush. The only strain that i did not grow yet lol. O well this was supposed to be a learning experience and i know 2 of them our going to finish out and the power plant looks like it it handling the new system pretty well.

I have grown in mostly as bubble buckets but those plants are sitting in very oxygen rich solution. This water is also aretated but on the flood table is just water.so i might of drowned 1 of them plants. I just ordered a boat load of new seeds with autos (for the outside once the weather breaks) so i am not stressed to bad for not keeping all the plants alive.

3 Likes

How I figured it out was by starting it off with a 15 minute flood time (3 minutes to fill, 12 minutes running the pump to circulate) and then I turned it off and timed how long it took for the hydroton in my net pots to dry out. So with my current configuration I started out flooding just three times per day (under 18 hour light, so every 6 hours) and I just adjusted it until the plants responded properly. For me that meant increasing the number of feeding intervals each day period. Since I haven’t had any issues I didn’t bother messing with it as the plants have grown.

2 Likes

I understand what you are saying. I am going to use different mediums next season i thought it always had to be rock wool or something like that i am going to try a couple Hydroton buckets without rock wool next season. These 6 inch cubes hold a lot of water so i am going to see how this flood every 12 hours. That still might be a bit much i might really slow it down and feed 1 time per day at 6 am. I do not like the learning curve. LOL

1 Like

I am going to use bubblponics like this guide suggests. I found it had a lot of great ideas as well as very thorough. @Rayofsunshine

1 Like

Just a word of caution top feeding cannabis in hydro can lead to stem rot. Most experienced hydro growers will recommend against in past the plant getting roots into water. I’m not saying it can’t be done. Just a fair warning.

1 Like

Well this looks like over watering. Will the plant bounce back? I took the cube out of the flood tank and squeezed the hell out of it to remove excess water I am going to just leave it out for the time being until she gets a little bigger and will use more water. then move her back onto the table. I also put a huge bed of hydroton on the bottom of the table to help with drainage. Please pray for my plant lol that she recovers.

2 Likes

Pictures? If it is over watered it’ll definitely bounce back. Probably in about 24 to 48 hours since you got rid of excess. I always thought I would put the plant in net pots with hydroton or in fabric pots with some other media. I’ve seen pictures of setups where the cubes are watered directly but never was sure how it would work.

1 Like

the cubes are wrapped in plastic you just never remove the plastic that keeps the rock wool together. Regular flood tables have raised fin things in them and channels to move the water away from the medium. My cubes have been sitting in water i think since it all doesn’t drain so that is why i put down like a bed of hydroton to lift the cube out of standing water. I should be ok now.

2 Likes