Easy growing 101

3 Likes

great video.!!
i originally stumbled across no-till gardening in a book,
the author wrote “tilling the ground makes a ‘fluffy’ soil, this is not an actual soil condition, it is a dog’s name” and “who tills the forest floor”,
those 2 statements opened my eyes to the bacteria and fungi in the soil.!

when i moved to my new house 10 yrs ago tomato plants would die from Fusarium Wilt,
since implementing no-till with lots of compost added twice a year the tomatoes now flurish.!
the Wilt is still in my soil, but the good bacteria/fungi combats it and wins.!!

can’t find my garden pics, tag me into this thread and i’ll post some monster mater plant pics.!
@Skydiver @monkman
these r a series of pics of the same tomato, close to far out,
this was an heirloom variety, can’t remember what tho, lol, kinda had a weird leaf shape,
the t-post is about 5.5 to 6 feet tall.!!

2 Likes

Yep I stopped tilling my garden about 5-6 years ago after I read an article about the microbes in the soil and tilling messed up the layers of biological critters.

I also stopped giving away my “property” by letting the city haul away my leaves from my trees as they have been layering my garden or in a pile decomposing into compost and then soil!
Tree leaves have 20-25% minerals by weight so more free stuff!

I sometimes bag my grass clipping just to use as a mulch or into compost pile…and it’s all free…

2 Likes

great video, thanks @Skydiver i learned a bunch.

pertaining to the leaves, we have a bunch of oaks and their leaves are real acidic. i have always blamed the lack of grass in the area to the trees but now suspect the area has been killed by chemicals used by others trying to get grass to grow and kill weeds. it looks like the best way to fix this would be to start compost pile and start putting it on my bare soil spots. the bare spots are just what she was saying… real hard packed dirt, not soil.

this is the main reason grass does not grow well, the pH of the soil is low,
trees need a lower pH then grass, luckily the decomposing leaves provide this,

try planting an acid loving ground cover under them oaks,
this way u won’t raise the pH with garden compost and possibly harm the trees.!!
unlike grass, trees can take many years to show soil problems.! (even longer to recover)

1 Like

i am sorry to say but it is almost time for these oaks to be gone. they are all old growth and my neighbor has had two different branches from two different trees fall on his house in the last 3 years. They will all have to be taken down in the next 5 years, ten at most. Two of our eight oaks have been taken down, one to the guy who already had his house hit twice LOL ours was lightning damaged from 15 years ago and was one of the few which were black oak. it didn’t have to come down, but he paid for it and i understood his “paranoia”. he sold out and left 6 months later lol. the new owners really love their new house with all the new construction on it.

1 Like

real nice plants @SlowOldGuy looking very healthy, helped a friend at his farm market for 4 years, really enjoyed working with all the fruits and vegs. he worked the fields and i worked the market.

1 Like

these r just backyard home grown maters.!!
my neighbors love it when they start ripening.!
they only get about 7 feet tall and then they break over the baskets and start growing down the sides, i m 5’ 6" tall bare foot, my finger tips r almost 7’ from the ground…

this is all done with only compost, soy been meal, and wheat straw ground cover.!!
wish i could grow cannabis in the yard, only need 2 or 3 plants to stock up for the year.!

1 Like

Awesome maters!