Early Veg Setup questions

If those are peat pots be careful. When they are above the pot soil level they can wick out moisture pretty fast. I avoid them, but when I have used them I made sure the bottom was out and completely buried when I transplanted.

3 Likes

@Reticence Thanks for the info on that. Yeah, the peat pot was an unfortunate reaction to my clones surprisingly rooting after 20 days. Checked in darkness for roots on day 19, nothing. I was about to toss them out, then voila! I wasnā€™t prepared, and quickly put them into 5" peat pots. I did cut the bottom of the peat pot, and trimmed down pretty much right to the soil. Iā€™ve been testing moisture and ph, so far everything is okay. Also, I know the clones were transplanted into something too large. Iā€™ll correct that in future grows.

@Myfriendis410 Would you mind linking me with a light setup that would work better for my 5ā€™x5ā€™ if you have time? The TC 1200 is something I had, so I started with that. Iā€™m certainly open to using better and newer technology, I just donā€™t really know what Iā€™m looking for. Thanks in advance for the advice.

3 Likes

@Myfriendis410 Just saw the forum post, thanks.

@GreenJewels Thanks for the @ info. Infinitely more useful.

1 Like

That would do it. And just about the right output. I run 600 watts in 24 square feet so should be good. You will also find these to be far more efficient than the Viparspectra lights. Totally different ballpark. As to coverage letā€™s see if @dbrn32 could weigh in. Hey; what would you recommend for a 5 X 5?

3 Likes

Actuallyā€¦ i think thatll do it! Nice choice btw

4 Likes

I do like the coverage of going with something like theee 260xl kits for a 5x5 a little better. But the hlg-600 kit is definitely capable of doing nice job in a 5x5, and a lot of light for the money.

4 Likes

Dangit! So 260xl is the squarish one? And 288 is the boards and rectangle?

Im learningā€¦ frigging qbsā€¦ :joy::joy:

4 Likes

260 xl is kit, 3 board heatsink with only two 288 boards on it. The boards being spread out keeps coverage/intensity pretty well balanced. And 3 lots in 5x5 keeps photon density banging.

3 Likes

@PurpNGold74 @dbrn32 @Myfriendis410 Thanks for the info. Iā€™ll definitely consider both routes. Iā€™m just trying to nail everything down on my first grow, so my second will be without the same level of error. Thanks again. The blurple is getting annoying, even with proper eyewear.

2 Likes

Youre gonna need PROPER eyewear using those HLGsā€¦ :sunglasses::+1:t5::sunglasses:

3 Likes

If you are like me it will be a whole different array of errors.

2 Likes

@Myfriendis410 Hopefully the error company will run out of marketing ideas, soon :grin:

@PurpNGold74 Yeah. I hear those HLG lights are ultra brutal on the eyes.

2 Likes

Use that viper for your veg space and hlg for the 5x5 just get a lily separate 3x3 for a veg space sontn3e Dee to many other bells and w hi whistles other then the light switch u have aopen door and a fan would e s ufficient for the rest ud need temps donā€™t need to be as in check in veg in fac t optimal veg temp is 85 f if Iā€™m not mistaken and higher with silica sme co2 regement.in larger scale. But any that viper would be.a great veg light and first right.in a 3x 3 perfect.i just ordered 4 hlg 600s for a 9.5 x 7.5 at 71.25 sq ft I will have a little higher concentration per sq ft of from over lap of all the lights I need to put them probably closer to the walls then centered what do you think @dbrn32

2 Likes

@fano_man Good info. Thank you. I may need another tent once I get things down. I think the Vip will work for veg okay, and since I have it at my disposal, might as well use it until I can replace it with something more efficient.

2 Likes

Healthiest five clones are growing well, about five inches tall. I switched the light to 100/60 veg/bloom @ around 37-38 inches from canopy. Anyone having any experience with this type of light would be appreciated. Is this an okay range for this growth period, or can I drop the light a tiny bit?

If well rooted you can ease it down an inch or two every other day til 24. Watch for any stress tho

1 Like

@PurpNGold74 Sweet, thanks. Iā€™ve been conservatively using the ā€œsuggestedā€ settings.

Hereā€™s the PGSC without the blurple. She had a few pretty traumatic weeks during the cloning/rooting process (as shown in an earlier section of this post). A few fan leaves were pretty messed up during that stage. She bears those scars, but looks healthy.

Hereā€™s the :cherries: :pie:. I named her Ginger. Sheā€™s gonna be trouble, I can tell. Those are some fat fan leaves compared to the rest of my clones.

Iā€™ll stop posting like a madman. To everyone who helped me on this post, thank you. I truly mean it. Iā€™m sick of spending tons of money on something I should be taking the time to learn about, cultivate, and enjoy. Itā€™s great to have a community of people honing their own skills, yet taking the time to help others. Have a good night. Work earlies for this guy.

6 Likes

Great recovery you got this!

2 Likes