Early veg beginner's questions

Hey all! Getting to where I actually might start having to do some work! Both my girls (jack herer autoflower) are doing better than I expected for my first time. They are about 16 days old from sprout and I’m wondering if I should start some lst or hold off untill they are bigger!? Also i planted them directly into fox farm ocean forest soil and haven’t given them any nutes… when do you think I should start giving them the extra boost?

9 Likes

Your plants look fantastic, nice job. I don’t grow autos but I would hold off on the nutes for another week or two.

Also, not being an auto grower, I can’t offer any advice on when to start training.

8 Likes

Thanks man! Been trying real hard to leave them alone!

5 Likes

Are those pistils sticking out?? For 16 days from sprout they are incredible. I would have guessed 3 weeks not including a week of germination. Anyways no food is necessary for sometime maybe into flowering w FFOF. Just watch her for signs and welcome to the forum btw glad to have ya.
Keep it green and stay high!!:sunglasses:

9 Likes

You are succeeding, and it shows. Keep leaving them alone and you will be rewarded. LOL

Seriously, early on it is important to just let them do their thing but in a week or so when the training is in full swing they may need frequent abuse for a while.

5 Likes

Thank you! I couldn’t believe it when I looked last night. I thought I did something wrong haha. I didnt think pistils would start so early on.

3 Likes

You could do some lst if you’d like but as this is your first grow ever and not knowing how these strains grow specifically (how vigorous they are) I would reccomend letting them do their thing naturally especially since they are in early stages of flower. I do agree with everyone as they look great and really healthy for 16 days. The problem with autos though is if you were to train them and maybe stressed them a lil too much you can set back the growth tremendously and cant afford that like you could with a photoperiod plant. Time is of the essence with autos.

6 Likes

As far as your nutrients go I would wait until atleast the 5th week or day 35 or even 42 to feed and by then you will want to feed your bloom nutrients but also your veg as your plant will still want a lil nitrogen through the first weeks of bloom phase. Always start with a 1/4 to 1/2 recommended dosage from the nutrient provider and work your way up from there through the next several feeds. Your plants again look great though and if you need anything else or have questions always feel free to ask or even @Dbpooper will tag that person directly! Glad to have you around and good luck heading forward.

4 Likes

Thank you for the information! Greatly appreciated!

2 Likes

I think you’re getting great advice; holding off on mucking with the plant’s structure seems like a sound idea. You’re going to grow it again, and next time you’ll have an idea of what the plant wants to do.

4 Likes

The only thing I feed my plants at that age is some seed sprout tea made with distilled, pHed water.

2 Likes

If you’re unfamiliar, the benefit is the seeds release beneficial enzymes the inoculate the cannabis plants. I’m not an expert, and only read about this in passing. But it seems cheap and worth exploring.

1 Like

Looks like it’s starting to flower. At least seems like it to me.
What is the light schedule you are using ?
Should be 18/6

For my first run I wanted to keep it simple so I went with a 24 hour on schedule… I wanted to do a 18 and 6 but with my light on my temp stays about 80 solid and the rh is 45 to 50% when the light went out temps went down to 60 and the rh went down to 30%

I’d seek the experience of autoflower growers who have tried 24/0, 18/6, 16/8, and 12/12. Personally, I wouldn’t dismiss the importance of a dark period for cannabinoid production. A day length in excess of 14 hours does seem to adversely affect THC production.

Source: Marijuana Botany by Robert Connell Clarke, 1981

2 Likes

I believe my RH rises when the lights are off. I like the temp dropping to around 60F because it usually brings out better colors. It’s one of the reasons I love growing in the winter because I can easily drop my temp.

Thank you for the heads up! You think it would be to late to change my light cycle? Judging by your profile name I’d say we live in the same state so you know all about the temp and humidity swings that comes with our seasons @VTGROW

Haha @Newbie90 that’s funny we live in the same state. I’m all the way at the top of the state and love these winter months growing indoors. I’d drop to 18/6 right now, almost perfect timing. Then I’d do 12/12 later in flower. You will still get the most out of your autos while saving on electricity. I just dropped to 12/12. @HornHead swears by this schedule and gets a minimum 10oz each but usually only does a couple at a time. Btw, he’s been a great help to me.

1 Like

Thank you for the info I greatly appreciate it! I will take the advice

I’ve never grown autoflowers, but perhaps @Bobbydigital @LandShark or others can address this question.

1 Like