DYI Water Cooled LED Lights

I made a 550w water cooled COB LED light that vents almost all heat out of my tent.

I used 10, 50w cheep COB LEDs from China (no driver needed) 5 white and 5 full spectrum.

20190309_140626|375x500
I have it in a container so I can vent the heat of the piping out side the tent.

4 Likes

I have the radiator piped out side my tent.

I also have a way to see water flow and temp.

2 Likes

I soldered copper bar (1/8 inch thick) that I cut to the size of the COB LED to 1/2 inch copper pipe using copper pipe straps.

5 Likes

Pretty cool…
Way harder than I want to work , Im quite lazy in my old age :sleeping:

3 Likes

Pipe condensation so close to the lights hasn’t been an issue?

3 Likes

I have not had any condensation, probably do to the venting of the container.

2 Likes

I think those specific chips are water proof or the driver/microchips on the same LED chip are sealed in a waterproof coating.

Very interesting.

4 Likes

Water cooled lights from China, hope you a good insurance policy!

1 Like

Hmmmmm, interesting.

water is in the pipes and circulates though a computers cpu radiator with the 3 fans.
Grounded to the copper pipe, would hate to get electrocuted.

Cool build…
But the foreseen problem that I see , is that you can’t have metal touching copper …
It’s called electrolysis and it will start to erode the copper pipe over a short amount of time…
Swap out the metal nuts and bolts for brass and your good to go… :wink:
:v::sunglasses:

3 Likes

I soldered the copper all together and the nuts and bolts are holding the LEDs.
Good tip

Ya , but the metal will still eat at the copper until you have a problem…
Trust me…
Only brass and copper can touch without any issues…
All of the metal has to go… :wink:
:v::sunglasses:

5 Likes

The 98f in pic is your water temp? Just wondering if you have measured temps around the plate where cooling tube isn’t in contact with the led mounting plate? Those driverless cobs are known to have pretty low electrical efficiency. Looks like one way to deal with it

1 Like

Nice ingenuity, has a steampunk look to it.

1 Like

I filled the gap between the tube and plate with as much solder as i could.
I can hold my finer on the plate where the tube is not for 30+ sec, don’t know the temp. That heat is why i have it in a storage container and vented with fans out of the tent.

1 Like

That’s cool enough if you have good thermal bond to plates.

I would use a good thermal paste (arctic 5 or something close) between the copper pipes and the leds.
Cpus are metal, coolers have copper contacts and they also cool better due to the paste. would melt without paste. Research those and it may cool even better.
Nice job you have done there.

I did use thermal past to attach the LEDs and can touch them also for 30 sec.

1 Like

What happens after 30 seconds?
:grin:

1 Like