DWC water cooling

I am wondering how people are keeping the water temperature in their DWC setups cooler. Forced air, chiller? It looks like a lot of money.

They’re using water chillers or constantly adding frozen water bottles.

1 Like

Ambient room temps keeps mine at 67 degrees running a rdwc. I have 2 of those running without any issues

1 Like

I have grow tents in my living room. The water is at 80 to 82° F. I have a lot of algae, the roots look bad and the plant looks like it is about dead. I’ll try to get some pictures.

Single bucket or recirculating?

1 Like

Recirculating. I have a control bucket and one or two 5 gallon buckets.

Yeah that’s way too high. 70° is what you’re looking for or 67°. @dave68

2 Likes

Hydro guard, a good canopy and ambient room temps will help a lot

3 Likes

Definitely what bob said. Hydroguard is the best thing for dwc. It’s really required IMO

2 Likes

I fought it until finally buying a chiller. It really depends on your climate. If you have a cool space to stash a rez then do that. Otherwise it gets increasingly difficult to manage the warmer things get.

1 Like

Are you using bennies?

1 Like

The black is actually green in the white bucket. The water looks really clean but the sides of the bucket are covered. The green leaf is one of the sugar leaves under a microscope.The tricomes look bad, but as ready as they are going to get. I do see some amber color in the few tricomes that have a bulb on the tips. This is week 10 in flower, NYC Diesel.

Sat Jan 18 19-22-05

That plant , looks like it was never happy… :thinking:
Hard to say where most of your troubles were…
Water temp was just one problem , but I think there were many…
Hopefully we can help you on your next adventure … :+1:
:v::sunglasses:

3 Likes

It says hydro guard has nutrients, is this all I need? I use the General Hydroponics Flora nutrient system now. I am a little confused about that.

I am waiting for seeds now and will harvest this plant in a couple days. I do have another in flower but also had a hard time with it, hoping it will turn out a little better. I will consider the seeds my next adventure since I have to buy some more stuff before I will get a good grow. A water chiller is $300 at least. :grimacing:

1 Like

Sorry Grundo, I don’t know what bennies are.

I think I am going with a water chiller. Very expensive but I have so much into it now it has to be done right.

1 Like

I am going to get that right away I believe.

If you have the extra cash go for the chiller. If you have to do water bottles the best lesson I have learned so far… REMOVE THE LABEL! I use 1 gallon frozen jugs about every 8-10 hours in a 27 gallon reservoir. Keeps my temps between 68-71 degrees. Its a pain but I did not have any extra cash for the chiller on this grow.

I did not remove the label, Label was sucked into pump. (I run an RDWC System) Pump luckily survived but the ladies were not happy they got stale water for almost two days before I noticed. I started noticing random deficiency on two of the plants and started troubleshooting. Saw the waterfall effect slowed into each of the buckets and worked my way back. Tough lesson to learn but its all part of the journey.

3 Likes

I run hydro guard along with orca. I use these 2 in conjunction with my nutrients.

2 Likes