DWC Purple Haze

Did you mention lighting? Or did I miss it?

Also, I don’t have a chiller, but if I did, you could do it two ways.
You could run a designated stainless steel loop in the reservoir to regulate temps. Haven’t priced out stainless steel loops, but I’m sure they’re not cheap.

Other option is to run it directly through. Probably cheaper.

3 Likes

Thanks man. Yeah db hooked me up last year.

1 Like

I don’t use a chiller either, so I’m afraid, that I would be of no help on this :v:

1 Like

I’ve run a chiller and gotten good results, but when I let the water get to 75-80 degrees the plants pop. I will use hydroguard during the hot times. The frozen bottles seemed to slow things down, maybe if I was chilling a res and pumping but in DWC I found the frozen bottles more hurtful than Helpful

2 Likes

What do you mean pop? Grow like crazy?

1 Like

ok, so this is a hard one to give a deep opinion… but, in short, if you are running one system id just pump the nutes through the chiller… the tube is stainless or titanium usually to make them suitable for salt water aquariums…

now where it gets hard is when you want to clean inside your chiller… there are several ways you can do this, bleach for example… peroxide… and if your using hydroguard and the chiller consistently you may only decide u need to clean inside it once-twice a year… less… where u need to clean it is if you want to stop using it for a while, you will need to clean it out, before u store it… then id say before you use it…

I now have 5-6 systems running off one chiller, I use the coils @Covertgrower they were not too expensive 4 delivered for $90 aud… I think… Alrighty.. One chiller, multiple hydroponic systems... how im doing it

and pumps and thermostats and controllers… but chillers are expensive. and I got the one for free… :smile::wink:

6 Likes

Thanks a million! :+1:t2:
I’ll check it out soon.

1 Like

You want a chiller safe for salt water.

5 Likes

Like @Myfriendis410 said, one for salt water. I run my from reservoir to chiller, and back to reservoir. After harvest, I drain, refill, and add bleach. I let this circulate about a day, then drain, refill, run a bit, then do it again. 2 rinse cycles.

6 Likes

I keep mine about 65°

3 Likes

I keep my chiller at 65-67°
I run the nutes through the chiller. The one I have specifically says you can safely run nutrient water through. It is a good idea to flush it out between grows.
This is the chiller I have and it performs flawlessly.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BHHQLKR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 Likes

That’s also the one I bought. Thanks for your input!

I’m waiting on a pump. The one they sent me was not rated for salt water. I’ve got a 400gph supposed to show up tomorrow.

I think I’m gonna set up a two system bubble tote and see how that’s working this weekend. May stick with one and may do two. Not sure yet. Have one PH seed soaking but may drop a purple kush also if I do two.

1 Like

I set up four totes for plants, bigger one for control reservoir.
I have 3 of these 400 gpm

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003UXBGTI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 feeds the four totes for plants via 3/4" tubing. 1 runs control res through chiller and finally one for weekly draining of system for fresh refill.

I have an 800 gpm from my refill res to my control res.
Works really well for me. I SCROG the four stations in a 4x8’ tent and am getting really good results.

2 Likes

@Covertgrower @dbrn32 @Myfriendis410 Is any body else having problems uploading pictures?

Yes there are a lot experiencing the same issues. They are working on it :+1::v:

1 Like

They’re working on it.

1 Like

Yes. Servers are overloaded. Team is working on freeing up some storage space and office is working on getting more storage. Sorry for inconvenience, hopefully will be tidied up soon.

2 Likes

@Bogleg @Myfriendis410 @Covertgrower @TDubWilly @Grandaddy013 @repins12 @kettle @Reticence @ItsPat @peachfuzz

So this is what I have as of right now.
A purple haze and a purple kush.
I know it’s ugly but it’s working.
I’m seriously contemplating one 35 gal tote w/two pots, a res and a chiller, along with air stones and such.
Can I use 1 1/2” pvc with a small system or should I get 2” lines??

13 Likes

The impact being how quickly the water will recirculate? I don’t have (and haven’t really used) a system where I have had to make those kinds of calculations - and for tangential issues (i.e. clogging, etc.) I simply don’t have the experience.

I would think either would be fine, but again - that’s just my “hunch.” I have 1/2" hoses between the different components that hold water in my system (reservoir, tray, chiller).

4 Likes

I use 1-1/2" on my system with 6-27gal totes and a 60 some gallon tote for res

4 Likes