DWC. First grow ever!

What’s up everyone? After months and months of thinking, planning, contemplating, purchasing items and trying to dial in my environment the best I can, I have finally started my first grow. I am growing (attempting) 3 White Widow Auto Flowers from ILGM. The plants will be grown in 5 gallon buckets with 6" net pots. I have already seen why people decide to do RDWC and totes instead lol but I will be giving this method a go for a few cycles to really hone in on the craft and learn to read my plants and gain knowledge. I am using the GH Flora series nutrient line. With this being my first ever grow I am nervous but extremely excited.

My setup:

• 3x3x6 tent
  • Mars Hydro TSW2000
  • Vivosun 4" 190CFM inline fan with Carbon Filter
  • 2 inch air stones (2 per bucket)
  • Three 5 gallon buckets
  • Three 6" net pots
  • Hydroton medium
  • Danner Manufacturing 8 watt air pump
  • 6" clip on fan
  • Honeywell HT-908 circulating fan

Nutrients:

• GH Armor SI
  • GH CALiMAGic
  • GH Micro
  • GH Grow
  • GH Bloom
  • GH Diamond Nectar
  • Hydroguard
  • Humboldts Secret Flower Stacker

After 8 days of germinating we had life (seeds actually sprouted around day 3). All three seeds popped and had a small tap root. I only fed them tap water at 50ppm and ph’d at 5.8. Once a tap root was established I then transplanted them into their buckets with a light nutrient solution at 250ppm and ph’d at 5.8 The plants are under 100% light at 30" away. The bottoms of the rockwool cubes were dipped into the nutrient solution before placing into the net pots; the plants were also top fed two syringe fulls of nutrient solution, enough to saturate but not drown the plants. I will continue to update as they grow! Wish me luck.

Cheers,
Will

5 Likes

Hi Will,
Jump in, the waters fine. I do hydro. If you run into any problems, just hit me up. I can tell you from experience, your number 1 enemy will be water temperature. In 5g buckets, you will need to do a weekly water change. I started with 5gal buckets and GH nutrients.

4 Likes

Hydro is a fun way to grow , can’t wait to see how they turn out :+1:t2:

2 Likes

That and PH crashing in mid flower.

4 Likes

Hey thanks man I really appreciate that! Water temps were my definitely my main concern after doing research and not having a chiller, Ive been keeping my tent temps between 72-74 degrees to try and help with that. It’s a little on the lower side but I’ve seen some good grows with those temps in DWC. I’m hoping the hydroguard will help me out lol

2 Likes

I hope they turn out well! Appreciate it man

What’s the best way to handle that? Just keeping a close eye on ppm and ph?

In that small a container you may need to replace buckets daily or every other day. Your plants can drink two gallons a day of water in mid flower and exchange salts with the standing solution. A five gallon bucket will only hold about three gallons to stay below net pot FYI. This is why totes are more user-friendly. Been there, done that.

5 Likes

Thanks for the insight! I’ll definitely be looking into totes in the future

1 Like

Be sure to write the date you opened the hydrogaurd on the bottle. It’s only good for 6 months after opening. I learned the hard way about that. :v::green_heart:

2 Likes

You have a great start…I wish I had planned as well as you have before starting my first grow.

I had purchased lights, built the grow room and germinated seeds (from ILGM) before joining this forum.
I then learned about all of my many, many mistakes. I took me two months (and several hundred $$$)to correct most of them.

1 Like

Appreciate that man! Is the shelf life for other nutrients about the same or does it vary?

1 Like

I really appreciate that! Personally I don’t feel as if I had a good start and I think that’s coming from me over thinking and analyzing, climate control and trying to get everything perfect. I know these plants can be resilient but when I put my all into something I want it to be as perfect as possible lol

I felt like these plants were stunted a little bit before I finally got my climate how I wanted it

1 Like

Hey everyone got a little update here. I transplanted the plants into their buckets on Nov 9th after 8 days of germinating and havIng a tap root. I mixed up a light nutrient solution and made a mistake in my previous post saying it was at 250 ppm when in actuality it was a little lower around 200ppm with a pH of 5.8. Two plants are in their buckets and one plant I have in a small container with just a light nutrient solution and personally I think it looks the strongest and healthiest. I will be transferring that plant into a bucket once the net pot arrives.

Fast forward to November 11th. My pH has risen and PPM’s are dropping. I’m noticing a slight yellow tinge that is starting near the vein of the leaf and working it’s way to tips. I do not have any root growth through the net pot yet. I held back on a top feeding just in case I may be over watering them and because the bubbling water is keeping the bottom of the net pot wet and I don’t want to drown them.

November 11th
Day temps 75 degrees
RH 55%
Water temp 70-72 degrees

Night temps 65 degrees
RH 65-70%
Water temps 67-69

Bucket 1: ppm 162 with pH of 6.6-6.7
Bucket 2: ppm 171 with pH of 6.6-6.7

2 Likes

It varies, a lot of nutes are 1 year after opening. A quick Google search will usually tell you. It can save future headaches.

If you put the @ in front of someone to catch their attention.
Like this @Myfriendis410 @merlin44 @BigDaddyCain @peachfuzz
someone more knowledgeable than me give a hand with that pH being high :v::green_heart:

2 Likes

@Poseidon @neofirebird @Covertgrower @BetrayedSoul

Sorry for the tag, I just remember you all from my very first post and thought you might want to continue seeing the grow!

4 Likes

Set to watching :+1:t2: Best of luck!

1 Like

Thank you! Much appreciated

1 Like

Tag me anytime. I’ll
Be lurking.

1 Like

I’m watching :wink:

1 Like