DWC 4 3" sites in a single 5 gallon bucket

I am new to DWC and was given a 4 site in one 5 G bucket. So since I was new I figure I will describe my plan and I appreciate any advice.

2.5’x2.5’x5’ tent
1000w full spectrum led
Ilgm nutes
Intake and exhaust undecided

Lst with a frame I will build from pvc to bend each plant to. I am afraid if I don’t bend they will grow into each other because of the proximity of the net pots.
When I bend I was also going to twist each node so they are facing the same direction so when I bend they are horizontal to start with and can then grow vertically up under equal lighting.
Has anyone tried this?
Does anyone have grow experience to think my lst plan won’t work?

Strain is undecided but I like
Girl scout cookies
Bubba kush
Gorilla glue
Blue dream

Am I missing a step? Or does anyone see any potential flaws in design?

2 Likes

Be aware the strength listed by led light sellers often is NOT what is delivered to the plants.

LST works. Suggest getting branches to get most light. with your small tent, really don’t think the extreme bending you are considering will do much.

But, as always…you ARE the grower. You make the choices and reap the harvest.
:cowboy_hat_face::vulcan_salute::v:

5 Likes

I am not a dwc grower but one plant needs roughly 2x2 ft space. And hydro plants get big fast if you do it the right way. If you got your LED from Amazon it is probably closer to 250 to 300 watts. Which will probably do pretty good on a single plant but it will get hot too. I would do one plant and just cover the other holes. @Myfriendis410 can shoot some hydro advice to ya if you need it. He’s a beast.

8 Likes

Thanks for the reply. I was actually reading led debates when you replied. Currently my light is a 300w white led cylinder I bought at Atwood’s for $17 in a $5 round reflector from Walmart. It’s worked well for my 2 code blue in soil but they are in a 1x2 greenhouse in my closet. I got the tent and DWC as a gift and was thinking about the 1000w from Amazon but haven’t ordered it yet if you have a good idea on lighting.
The bending is just a standard way but on my current soil grow I scrogged and hated having to trim bud sites that were pointing down to the soil so I was hoping to twist so I can point them left and right instead of up and down. I see you point of it being extreme in a small tent

1 Like

If you haven’t ordered the light yet what are you planning on running?

2 Likes

Suggest you continue to research the LED light strengths and ask advise if needed.
Your tent is on the small side but should be good for a couple of slender plants.
I prefer GG and WW since they tend to be a slimmer profile than others.
Once you get a few grows and find a strain that fits your needs…one LST will fill the tent.

3 Likes

I would just get some kind of Quantum Board light then you wont have to worry about that aspect of your grow. One for a 3x3 will not cost to much and pay for itself in OZs on its first run

2 Likes

An HLG (Horticulture Lighting Group) 3000K QB 135 should work decent in that space.
Or, you could splurge and get a QB 260W… more money, though.

1 Like

I think you’re may run into an issue with size of res, space, and plant count.

The problem is that plants from seed need to be at least 4-5 weeks old before they can flower. In a dwc system they will grow quickly, and even with the training will probably pose some problems. I’m sure can be done though, but would probably be better with clones.

2 Likes

I would not recommend more than one plant in a 5 gallon bucket you wouldn’t have enough room to do any real training before you run out of space especially in a 2.5×2.5 tent

3 Likes

Sorry it took so long guys. As I’m new I’m only allowed 5 replies in a day for some reason. @imSICKkid I now plan to order the hlc qb 135 that @TommyBahama recommend. Many people have mentioned the quantum board setup to me. Am I understanding I can put the power supply or ballast outside the tent? That would help keep heat down right? Also I got an email yesterday for gsc extreme from ilgm. Does anyone have experience with it?

4 Likes

Less is more. No need large plant count to get lbs. 2 plants in my 4x8 vegged 1 week and they wont fit

2 Likes

I place the driver outside the tent to keep the added heat down because they do get hot after you turn them on full blast. So are you wanting to do 4 of the 135 boards?

1 Like

Technically you could make an extension for the wires that go from the driver to the board, but I would hold off on doing that unless you determine you need it. The heat output shouldn’t be bad at all.

1 Like

I have one going right now it grew FAST and buds are heavy . I took too long to get it in flower so it got a little out of hand .10 weeks veg.

5x5x8 tent

3 Likes

The heat output from a HLG 240H C2100 in a 5ft tall 2.5x2.5 tent would definitely increase the heat once you get into flower.

1 Like

Of course - all lights and power supplies make heat. My point was simply, don’t bother cobbling something together unless it turns out you need it. Not everyone likes (or feels comfortable) doing DIY stuff.

3 Likes

How many would I need? It’s 30"x30" so it’s 6.25 sq ft area. The kit I saw on hlc appeared to only have one.

1 Like

What you need is a 4 pack of the QB 120 boards. They do not require a heatsink and they do really well in that size tent.

1 Like

Horticulture Lighting Group 4X QB120 V2 Quantum Boards (3000K) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KQGLJWT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_772mDbG97E17X

2 Likes