Durban Poison & Gorilla Cookies- Joe's First Grow, and Post

Looks like early-mid phosphorus deficiency to me. It’s easy enough to fix if that’s the case. If I were you, I’d wait for a consensus to develop before you listen to me alone, I’m not a pro or anything either. I left a link for you to check out and if you do a little fishing around on that guide you should be able to identify most/all of your plants’ symptoms. Happy growing!

1 Like

Here are my ladies tonight.

5 Likes

I see that you got the plants the nitrogen they needed. You should give them CalMag every water and feed. It is what keeps those leaves green. I love that Durban Poison. I have one growing as well as a Maui.

1 Like

I’m not really sure what is going on with the Durban Poison. They are both a little sick. The fella at my local garden store believed I had too much available phosphorus due to fish sh!t and stump tea combined with adding more soil covering the stem of the plant more. He suggested I flip them to flower as a solution. As a countermeasure to the issue, I watered with distilled water only. I don’t want to start flowering if there is the possibility of a deficiency. So nitrogen you say? They still have some yellow leaves on the bottom I need to work out.

I have given my Durban one feeding. She is going on 10 weeks old.

This is what she looks like now. I believe that my leaves looked like yours in the first few weeks as she was young and growing. It went away in a few days after some CalMag. Since then they have looked as green and healthy as any plant I have in my house.

2 Likes

Good evening, everyone. Here are my ladies tonight. The two Durban Poison still have some yellow leaves curling tips. The clones I took from them a couple of days ago also have the same yellowing of the leaves with curling at the bottom. I watered to drain-off last night and one Durban was 6.7 in 5.9 out. The other was 6.7 in 6.1 out. I added calmag at low concentration this time. Should I flush some or just water with neutral water at this point? I haven’t added any tea or fish sh!t in the last week since the leaves first began to yellow. I’m not having good success when moving from the cloning bucket to soil; the small pot with the clones a recent transfer and it isn’t looking good. Do I need to feed it nutrients? Is my DNC water only soil too hot? These are the things I must explore. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

I’m not a soil guy or those cubes. I know that once the damage is done on a leaf it will not recover, you have to look at the new growth. I think they look pretty good by the pictures. I’ve only cloned a few times. I trim the big fan leaves down and stick them in moist rapid rooters and keep warm and wet. They say 24 hours of light for I can’t remember how long. I’ll stick the rooters in a solo cups of coir to help keep moisture

2 Likes

A few days after my last update I decided to make the switch to flowering since the average height is about half my available real estate.

I messed around a couple days sealing light leaks and such. I put in the HPS bulb last night and switched the light schedule running the current day 5 hours long since I had recently fed- allowing me to move “light time” to night since electricity is more expensive in the summer (but cheaper at night) and heat load is more easily dealt with as well, followed by a full 12 hours of dark and the new 12/12 schedule.
Last night they were starving when I got around to swapping the bulb and adjusting timers.

I gave them some tea. I brewed it up myself (first time) with 2-1/2 gal water, 1 cup of worm castings, and 1 tablespoon of black strap molasses.
Turns out the water only soil isn’t quite cutting it. Just to roll the dice I added 1/2 strength Aurora Buddha grow and the return on this cocktail is just ridiculous. My ladies have been staving I think.
I also added calmag. I have been adding it every watering based on a recommendation from @Oldsoldier1976.

It is now flowering time. Yay! So, after transferring them from solo cups to 5 gallon pots they were in vegetive growth for 52 days when I changed light schedule. The Gorilla Cookies are about 33” with the pot, the Durban Poisons are about 36” with the pot.

2 Likes

One week exactly- this is the start of a flower, right? Too bad I was treating them for red mites.

I built a running water deep culture hydro setup for two plants I will be initializing soon, just need one more perfect clone from the hydro clone bucket.

I want to start them off with some good roots. I have a Durban that’s perfect but all the rest I’ve already put into soil. I have a mix pack (cash crop) from ILGM I have been waiting to plant some of, but I have been learning from these clones because they had such a low initial investment at 30 bucks each. I only bought 4 but now I have 2 more growing strong and possibly several more if they make it.

I cut this gals leaves short hoping for some quality roots- nope she grew more leaves.

1 Like

I got mylar for the walls and floor of my cloning closet. I also covered my tabletop with 6 mil material.

Two weeks into flowering. The flowers are really coming on all of them-here is a front and top/front view of both gorilla cookies.

And the other

The Durbans

The gorillas

How about some close ups

2 Likes

I rescued a Durban poison that came fro a root bound pit and is the last known pheno from a decades old strain on my little Alaska island. It’s so Wiley And out of control most rooms can’t handle her. I’m not even sure mine can. In two weeks after I chopped the living you know what out of it she’s come back with a vengeance in a 10 gallon pot throwing roots into my camping pad insulation. I’m half tempted to let her bloom all on her own.

3 Likes

Mine are somewhat out of control. I topped them too, not sure how tall they’d be had I not cut some off. They keep growing daily though I’ll need to flower them somewhere other then my tent eventually!

1 Like

Today is a big day for me. I transferred two clones- one each of gorilla cookies and Durban Poison from little starter pots to 5 forever homes. They are the first clones I have made, to get this far. Many have died for me to learn. I have a few more that are going to make it as well but these two are special because they are my firsts.

Both of them were rooted in my bucket with the sprinkler inside. It also has a stone bubbler that runs continuously.

Here are the things I learned from my first hydro-clone starting. Running the water continuously seems to slow initial root development, but creates thin consistent roots when in process. Interval running the pump changes development behavior. I experimented with 2 minutes on 2 off for a while with similar results to continuously running the pump. Now, with 1 minute on 4 minutes off the development of roots is much faster! They are very thick at the base, thinner with length and have a huge long single root.

Anyway, the gorilla was developed in constant water and had very thin even tight roots, although it might have not had enough roots when I planted it- but it didn’t die! May 6 I decided I was planting it. DNC soil because it’s what I have on hand.

Far left in the pot- May 9th (3days in dirt)

May 14th

May 19th sorry for the led

May 23rd with the Durban I’ll speak of in a moment

May 28th it just kind of stopped growing

Here are her roots when I transplanted, I might have been dancing in the garage I was so happy.

Meanwhile… the Durban stayed in the bucket until May 14th and I started experimenting with nutes because I have them on the shelf now for an upcoming adventure. I know, but I only burned them a little bit. She came out muscled up and caught up with the gorilla and passed her now.
May 9th back left

May 14th leftmost in green foam holder

May 19th sorry for the led

May 23rd

Her roots at transplant

And here they are in their new pots- notice the clones in the bucket since I started playing with nutes

Also a picture of the flowering ladies as well.

1 Like

Here is one of the gorilla buds. We are 4 weeks since light schedule change now.

Here is one of the gorilla cookies. Group pics aren’t really possible anymore unless they are in hps light.

1 Like

The waiting is killing me.

3 Likes

2 Likes

I haven’t given an update for a couple weeks, sorry. I have been super busy. So in the meantime I have initialized my home built running water deep culture hydro setup. Should I start a separate journal for that grow? Is that how this works? I think I might, but FYI it’s two big bud photo from ILGM. Here it is

Anyway back to the gorillas and Durban’s this journal is about. Here they are. Sorry for the low temp lightning. Looks like I am making some weed- it really, really stinks. I can brush the bud of any of the tops and get sticky and stinky. I’ve made a boatload of clones for friends just to practice and my success rate is solidly in the 80’s.

1 Like