Dumb question about soil, apologies

Hey guys! This is a really basic question, I should know this but I don’t…
Can/should soil be reused? I’m growing in 5 gal cloth pots, Happy Frog soil, using ILGM nutes for the most part ( gonna try Grow Dots next). I’ve been reusing soil (I only grow 1 or 2 plants, 1 or 2 times a year). No “failure” grows, but wondering what best practice is. Beyond a heavy final watering I haven’t been doing an official flush. What say ye?

1 Like

Yes you can reuse soil, I’m reusing soil for the first time on my current grow. But you will need to start nutrients sooner than you may have when soil is new.

3 Likes

Agree with Bulldognuts with reusing soil. I have done this, no problems. Just clean out any roots in the os soil, your good to go. You have to fert. sooner than with new soil. happy growing :bat:

1 Like

I have read on this forum of reusing soil. One practice that is mentioned is sanitizing the soil. Some bake it others will bag it and let it cook in the sun. I do not know if this is necessary or just precautionary. I imagine if there have been pests it is a needed step.
From a practical aspect I would be concerned with left over nutrient build up. I thorough flush should take care of the nutrients. Another is the soil’s pH. Most cannabis friendly mixes are buffered to a certain pH level. Before I reused soil I would want to do a slurry test to determine its pH & ppm. This would indicate it may need to be pH adjusted.
If you want to reuse your medium I suggest switching to coco. A good rinse with pH adjusted water and you are all set. I may sift it before reusing it to remove some of the pith that has broken down.

@Bulldognuts did you do anything to it before reusing it?

5 Likes

Farmers have charts for dead plant breakdown rates Temp, Humidity and sunlight play parts.
Black Bag sunlight cooking may kill unwanted fauna and allow faster cellular breakdown. I use that method for garden containerized soils for plants.

3 Likes

I have been reusing my soil. I put it in big totes keeping the small roots, add more perlite and bit of fresh organic soil. I add in other things like a bit of ironite and ground eggshells, etc. every mix is a bit different. About 2-4 weeks before use I add my Earthdust and keep it moist. I do a slurry test and make sure the pH is not out of whack. I grow in living soil and feed the organisms so they can work their magic.

There are a lot of ways to grow cannabis. Find what works with you available time and budget.

5 Likes

I’m am using grow dots in reused soil now it is going very well but I would check the PH of the soil

1 Like

Heck ya you can reuse the soil! When chose to do the “no till” method this year on the farm. We removed all larger root balls. You can leave the smaller root clusters. This will break down and add to the worm culture. (Living soil)

Not sure your method but I would suggest to no simple. Next look at the water retention/compaction of the soil. You can add all sorts of healthy things to achieve the ratio you are looking for.

Maybe look into planting a cover crop about one month before you plan on transplanting your plants. This will help with moisture evaporation, soil compaction and helps add valuable nutrients back into the soil.

This is one of our eight greenhouses. All is reused soil! Cover crop was planted last week and will be watered in every other day.

4 Likes