Drying smells, what’s normal?

Hi all,
Just quickly for piece of mind,
I cut my crop down about 9 days ago and have noticed from the beginning that smell of fresh wet plants, then an earthy type smell which now has calmed into a more dry hay type smell with some buds starting to go to the normal bud smell.
To be honest, my sense of smell isn’t the greatest and the time I’ve spent around my plants I’ve kinda found it’s desensitised my ability to smell the weed.
My drying room is dry with fans and an average temperature of around 20 degrees Celsius.
This has been my first grow and everything’s gone really well but the smell thing is pickling my brain and I’m concerned about having the buds go mouldy!
Anyone able to give me an insight into the normal aromas associated with the drying stage? It is still not quite dry but very close.
Thanking you for taking the time to read this post, any advice would be appreciated, peace of mind even more so!! :smile:

@420grow the dry hay smell is normal, once dry enough to place into jars, the terpenes will return.

3 Likes

You’re a star! My head completely fell off when I thought it was going tits up, I have read that it’s kinda normal but I’ve not been able to find a lot of information as to what the normal smells are

2 Likes

@420grow no worries. We’ve all been there. Don’t hesitate to ask anything.

3 Likes

It wigged me out the first time, too!

1 Like

Your will be curing once in the jars and a good 2 1/2 month cure your will have some thing that fumes up the whole house and a nickel bag in your pocket that people will smell from 10 feet away

4 Likes

@ThcinKC isn’t that the truth hahahaha
Curing takes time and can’t be rushed although it will be partially cured is a little as a month once in jars slow and long curing is best to get the best flavor and smell profiles

The hay smell will go away once cured

@420grow here a good link give it a read over

4 Likes

Thanks all for the responses, it’s defintiely been helpful and now that it’s dry the hay smell has gone and it smells pukka!!!
Curing is something I will look into on my next lot, it’s not something that seems overly popular here in the uk but I will look into it for sure!

1 Like

Curing takes it from decent to incredible.