Drying quandary

Once bud’s are “cut” , hung in tent (40 to 50% RH) "how do I know when they are dry enough to be placed In paper bags or right into jars (with 62% RH packs) ? what RH should they be? Concerned about over drying. Is this a concern? Or am I just being anal?

Ideally, you should dry at around 50%, but that’s hard to do. At 40% you’re buds will dry rather quickly, so keep an eye on them, you don’t want them to get too dry for the cure. The stems should snap a bit rather than bend when they’re ready, they don’t have to break off. Then put them in bags for further drying. I do this for about a week. Then they go into jars for curing.

3 Likes

I get “keep an eye on them” I just don’t know what to “look for” if they get down to 50% in the tent or bag isn’t that too dry as 62 % is where the RH packs are at, can they “re- moisturize” the bud’s up to the 62% from as low as 50%?

My understanding is the bag or box method is a go between ffmrom hanging to jar. So bagging would be a good way to keep them from drying too fast if your rh is a little low. Likewise, if rh is high you wouldn’t really want to bag them and would likely be better off leaving them hang a little longer.

The “watch them” part comes in to account for your particular situation. Watch your smaller stems, if they start to crack when hanging it’s probably time to do something. If that happens prior to like 7-10 days of hanging a paper bag would probably be a good idea. If it’s there or longer is a reasonable dry time and you can probably go straight to jars and proceed with regular burping.

3 Likes

Yes, Boveda packs can re moisturize the buds if they’re too dry. You have to watch that they don’t over dry though. Don’t let them get to the point where they’re breaking apart, that’s too dry.

2 Likes

They are (my girls) getting very pretty at this point expect 3 week to harvest. Just want to do it right. Thanks to all here!

2 Likes

Awesome job so far! When Drying your buds you want to not strip all of your leaves off , just the fans that are yellowing out and the bigger ones. Hang them like 50% like @raustin said. but with a fan in there for air circulation. When you can bend the stalk closer to the bud and it snaps but doesn’t break off, your’re ready for trim and curing!

1 Like

I will dry for 5 days or so or until you can bend a small stem and it snaps instead of bend (stem dont have to break in half just snap a bit) then i place in a paperbag for another 4 or 5 days (generally i wate until the buds dont stick together anymore) then i put in jars. After i put in jars i seal up for 12 hrs then open and if the buds feel to moist i pull them out for a hr then seal back up and repete

3 Likes

Quick question on hanging buds. Any advantage in hanging in tent the entire plant for a week or hanging just the bud stalks?

If you hang entire plant it just slows the drying process down as all the moisture in the stems will go into the buds. Causing a nice slow dry (it isnt a bad thing)

I find wet trimming much easier than dry trimming.

2 Likes

Just unsure…concerned about drying out too much as my RH in my tent is low 40’'s to 50 max.

If your RH is consistently low, then hanging the whole plant is the way to go. It will slow down the drying process considerably.

That’s what I’m beginning to think as well. Hopefully less potential mold with the lower RH as well.

1 Like

Lucky you. Humidity is always high around here. A couple pans of water in the tent with your fan blowing over them might help.