Drying problems

Okay so here it goes

1. how long should the branches hang for
  2. does it matter where you hang ( sealed cupboard/ in the garage/ in the spare room with a sheet over / on the washline outside)
  3. should it be bone dry or still tacky to the touch
  4. when bottling ,dose the type of bottle make a difference

Cool with all that said/asked
Whenever I dry the trees they become to dry (even in like two to three days) so I have a big challenge ahead of me because I have my first biggish harvest in a month and don’t want to screw it up again

Thank you guys for helping me

I did for get to say that I’m in Southern Africa and don’t know any local growers ( only smokers and general consumers

1 Like

The branch should snap not bend, that means it is dry and should begin to cure the bud. There are many different ways to do this.
Also search on here through the journals and topics for other drying and curing ideas and advice

This may give you some ideas

1 Like

Thanks man
What if the bud drys faster then the stem ( which is my problem

1 Like

I’m not sure about that then

1 Like

@Stoneherbal
If the buds are crispy you can trim them off and put into mason jars. Store them in a cool dry dark place with the lids on loosely. If you can get a fan to blow over the lids, that’s even better. I use little petco hygrometers in the jars as well. Once rh in jar stays around 50-55% lids go on tightly. Then burp until you wanna smoke… the longer they stay sealed in the jar - the tastier the smoke.

2 Likes

Cool thank you will give that a try
And by crispy do you mean like the hair would be brittle but the main part still tacky

It can be tacky. Just make sure you keep the lids on loose or you can get mold.
:+1::smiley:

1 Like

Thank you man
Is there a way to prevent mold while hanging/drying

I used the paper bag method which helped greatly. The paper bag slows down air exchange of the buds after drying and before putting in mason jars. It made for a very good finish on my cured bud. Smoked beautifully.

3 Likes

Keep in mind, the buds will “feel” dry but curing will pull moisture from deeper in the buds back towards the outside.

And I agree with @Hawkeye_diesel. I waited until stems made a snap sound when bending them. Not all snapped clean off but it made the snap sound and feel.

Be sure to burp the jars or whatever container you use. If you keep a close eye you’ll be fine I think.

Good luck!

2 Likes

Keep air moving. I dried mine in my tent with the blower/filter running and a small fan blowing in the tent, but NOT aimed directly at the drying buds.

1 Like

I live in a really dry climate kinda like you it sounds… where if I hang in a room or anywhere else my humidity is very low maybe about 10% so the plants tend to dry quicker than I want them to … so what I did was put stringlines up in a bathroom that I use on a regular basis and blacked out the windows as to not let any light in while they’re hanging… but the trick of it is I take a shower in there at least every other day I have 2 bathrooms so usually all shower in there every 2 to 3 days bringing up the humidity which allows me to dry my plants for 2 to 3 weeks so that I do not dry them super quickly and the relative humidity stays about 25% in there which isn’t too much and isn’t too little… just something you might think about trying … :wink:

:v: :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I over dried mine and tossed them in mason jars with a 62% bovida pack and in 2 days they were fine again and bovida is cheap and easy . Try just start a cure on some of the buds also they probably have more moisture in the interior than it seems . Good luck

1 Like

I have a different situation here on the Central Coast of California. The climate is mild, fairly high humidity, morning fog, Temps in the 60’s which is challenging for drying the harvest. I HAVE to run multiple fans on the buds and it takes 10 days or so for the moisture content to drop enough to start curing. If I didn’t move air across them they would mold in no ti,e.

1 Like

Thank you guys very very much

With all the tips I think I can start drying my one tree (it matured really quickly the sent started to drop 3days ago ) a rose skunk #1 bag seed it stopped growing 10 days ago

1 Like