Drying Issues, Again. Buds break up & separate

Congrats on cancer free.

2 Likes

I am in harvest for one Auto California Snow, my trouble is that I didnā€™t have anywhere to harvest as my tent was still being used by my other plant. I placed my growth in a box, cut two holes i it and placed a fan inside. The trouble is that my humidity will not get past 33% and it has been three days now. Will I face any problems if this continue? BTW, I kept the fan leaves on some due to the humidity.

This isnt surprising to me, cardboard is dry as can be and will suck the moistute out of your flowers too quickly. I have read that you can use a box but it just seems like a bad idea. Boxes are dirty, dusty, and make a good mold food as is. Lotsa people just hang em in an open room with a fan blowing near but not on them. Want to hit 60-65% rh for 7-10 days. If you dry to fast the flavor will be impacted.

Is it important that they are in the dark, is it to late for my plant?

Is it to late for my plant? I think because of low RH, I am drying to fast. The smell is nice and sweet, one of the smaller buds was still sticky but dry on the outside. I am trying to learn from this batch so I know what to do moving forward on the next ones.

Really? How stoned? When you chop down a plant like his stage how high would you say thc is approximately, 80% of max or less, whats the range like? My plant is going on 24 days into flower and it kinda looks like how his plant looks mature wise.

Iā€™d guess somewhere in that range. You can always take an early sample, quick dry and smoke it as a tester. Itā€™ll be harsh, but youā€™ll get a good idea.

Intrestingā€¦ i donā€™t think i would want to smoke it based on looks alone, Iā€™ld have to wait some more. I dont think i ever smoked anything that looks like that.

getting close though iā€™m sure!

2 Likes

I would love to know when to start decreasing the intensity of the light. I read somewhere where you @Newt decrease hours instead of light intensity. What week do you usually start pulling back? Or im sure you go based on looks instead. Would you say these pic gives a good resemblance of pulling back soon? I was going on approximately 28 days or so in flower

Last two weeks or when foxtailing starts

Arguably no. Dark isnt required. Its bro science Im sure but that doesnt mean there isnt sound thought behind it. I have read in numerous places that trichome production/maturation happens in the dark. Couple that with the knowledge that foxtailing prevents trichome maturation and its a no brainer to me. I like to give the trichomes 48 hrs of straight dark to finish them up.
The dark is a sign to the plant that life cycle coming to an end.

No its not too late for your plant, you are going to loose a bit of overall quality having it dry too fast. Lil harsher, mabey burn quicker. Crunchy on the outside is normal the moisture and flavor get locked behind that. Make sure you cure at like 65% rh in the jar to balance your moisture from the quick dry. I mean you cure at that RH anyways but you will want to ensure this.

Thanks for the insight

2 Likes

A study on peak potency was done some time ago and actual highest percentage of THC happens ahead of final bulking up. We sacrifice a bit of overall potency for a lot more flower.

In general, THC degrades in bright light. Iā€™ve dried flower in a spare bedroom on a drying screen and just kept the blinds drawn.

You can slow down the rate of moisture loss in drying by using large paper bags. I would not use used ones though.

1 Like

Congrats on health !
Get you a scope for next harvestā€¦.
$25-$40

I decrease my light by 2 hours of time starting in week 6 after flip.

1 Like

Awesome advice! Thx !! So no need to bring it down anymore at this point!! Straight thru at this intensity just decrease 2 hrs the last couple of weeks !

That is what I do. Iā€™m sure there are many other ways, I just find this simple.

2 Likes

I think it makes perfect sense. Thx for the advice. Itā€™s appreciated!!

2 Likes

Hey Newt do you know who uses coco coir, i need a bit of help please. Can you point me in the right direction. Thank you kindly!

1 Like

I think @pr does. And maybe @SilvaBack203