Drying help.. @@#$!

i’m drying my third plant. third method. seems like no matter what i do everything dries in 5 days. first i just hung in a closet, it was too warm in there. also had wet trimmed. five days. then second was still wet trimmed, but i tried a smaller tent and had an AC blowing in through a duct. temps fluctuated 61-74 depending on whether it was triggered on or not. overdried at 5 days. now i got a bigger tent. all leaves still in tact. very very gentle little fan and got the AC pumping almost consistently so the temp is an ave of 68 degrees. overdried day 5 to 50%. humidity for all three ranged 50-60%. i don’t know what i can do to extend the drying time.

the “snap” method also no way no how works for me. stalks are still super bendy and i just put some buds in a jar and they are 50%.

1 Like

I use a drying rack in our guest bedroom. Depending on ambient conditions I might open the window, close the window, use a fan, not use a fan etc depending. Right now the RH is like 20% so I would be sweating bullets if I had to dry something. That said; you have at your disposal a lot of tools to slow down the drying interval. I used to use big paper shopping bags which work well and you can weigh as they dry. Lately I’ve been using clear sterilite totes with lids and when my flower is close, it all goes in totes with the lid cracked then sealed. I monitor the RH right through the tote and can crack a lid, take a lid off, put a lid on completely and seal, run a fan over any of those combos or not as needed. Works a treat!

3 Likes

hmm interesting. so it still dries in the totes even with the lid sealed?

thanks for bouncing around the threads and bailing me out…

1 Like

Happy to help.

No moisture exchange when sealed (or at least very slow) but it allows me to take a reading from the entire mass of plant material to monitor my progress. I try to creep down on 62% rather than shoot past it and have to recover moisture. By cracking the lid you can incrementally lower the RH to where you want it.

1 Like

sounds good to me. i certainly shot past it. three times now. working on the fourth…

1 Like

Yo it’s funny cuz I’m running into that same problem with it being too dry. I’ve hanged my plants for exactly 7 days and it was too dry. I’ve tried different methods as you did and yet still came out too dry, so next time imma hang them for 2-3 days then put it in paper bags until they’re safe to jarred it.

2 Likes

i guess i could leave em in the tent but turn the exhaust fan off after day 3 and take the duct away from the AC. that would kinda be similar.

Have you tried placing a humidifier in your tent to maintain your humidity at 60%? I had to have one on the whole time to maintain 55-60% and dried 10 days in my 3x3x6 tent. I removed fab leaves only and had great luck although I didnt wait til they snapped with a crack they snapped. My humidity was 70+ the first 2 days so I would lay the bud out on cardboard for hours then re jar within 3 days they stayed consistent under 65. Hope this helps any. I am also in the midwest so my humidity and ambient temps were high as well so my ac constantly ran pulling my humidity down into the 35- 40 range before I had the humidifier

1 Like

i haven’t because the air exchange would in theory blow the humidity right out of the tent. i will certainly consider this though. what were your temps?

With my ac set to 67 and girlfriend pissed lol I maintained 63 at night when it would finally be dark and maybe 71 during peak day mind this was late summer so it was pretty hard to maintain temp, I would definitely have thought with a dry trim you would have seen different results this last round. Definitely consider the humidifier and if not worried about smell I wouldn’t run an extraction fan just open your bottom vents and pull in air with a small fan on low not blowing anywhere directly on your buds point it at your back wall if need be.

2 Likes

i’ve got my filter and fan still hooked up to the tent for extraction.

everyone says 70 and 50%. i guess that’s wrong? my ave is less than 70 and is 50%. maybe my upward swings really added up.

i just turned the vent fan down to 1, maybe if i get a little humidifier in there now it’ll help. i gotta get this crispy plant outta there today and trim and then hopefully slow this second one down that i just put in. i wasn’t planning on trimming today :confounded:

1 Like

I agree with not running the exhaust fan it may be just moving to much air u want air circulation but very very little.

3 Likes

Yeah 50% seems way too low to me as it needs to bottom out around 55 in your jars or you will screw up your cure. I aim mind you AIM for 65f and 60% humidity the whole dry with just fan leaves being pulled. Then after no less than a week but no more than 2 weeks you should be close to your snap. And then you can contour final dry trim and start the jarring and burping process! Hope this helps.

1 Like

How long did you leave buds in jars before reading 50%? And did you check your hygrometers against salt slurry or any? For what it’s worth, I try to dry at about 55% rh and that’s also what I’m looking to get my cured buds to.

I feel like blowing conditioned air in is going to hurt more than help.

2 Likes

maybe an hour? i should go look again… its’ been a few more hours now. this is the first time i’ve tried this.

so not sure the AC is really being forced in. it’s a pretty ghetto rig, the flexi duct is taped to the unit and there are a few bends in it, but still mostly relies (i think) on the exhaust fan to pull it in. but yeah, maybe it is too forceful. i turned the exhaust down to 1 and the tent is neutral - not billowing or sucking in. i put a camera in and there isnt a breeze blowing on them

1 Like

I would check them. There is usually some moisture held within the buds that will equalize the jars after a bit.

i just went up and forgot why i went up there. :roll_eyes: this is your brain not on drugs…

3 Likes

Haha gotta get this dry down so you’ll have some brain power back!!

1 Like

ok it’s looking better. i put another branch in there too this morning. it’s up to 58%. all is not lost. once again, good call @dbrn32. now just gotta figure out how to extend this drying time. hopefully the fan down to 1 does it otherwise will add a little humidifier.

2 Likes

so this is funny. i just took the dog for a walk and these jamaican guys down the street were like… “hold up! you smoke da herb, right?” they ran behind their house and came back with a branch they just cut off their outdoor grow. it’s like palm sunday, but better!

he said they usually get like 8 pounds but this year was crap. felt bad for them. but this made my day. and i finished my walk carrying a stalk of weed :joy:

4 Likes