Drying help needed- I’m setup, but lack knowledge on what to expect

Hey guys Newbie here, I just set up a 2x2 drying tent with 4” exhaust fan on top with a monkey fan on the bottom, I hooked up the InkBird control.

I just cut down my first plant last night useing a friend’s automatic trimming machine, so all the buds, leaves are off the stalks and pretty much completely trimmed,I have one of those hanging cloth Meesh bags with multiple compartments, buds are nice and evenly distributed in about four of those compartments,

My question is that the current rh reading is 64%.my setting to shut off is 50%, the buds already feel kinda dry since putting them in there last night,is this normal will the 64% go down as they dry more? Am I doing this properly? I think I listed all info lol.

Thank you for your help. This is fun but I stress myself out, why I don’t know hahah

3 Likes

such is life as a Marijuana grower…I suggest getting the RH down below 55% if you can…at 64% and in the hanging drying bag you will surely fight mold if your buds are tight…

3 Likes

Ok thanks but that 64% should go down as they dry with the fans operating correct?

No…you are measuring the air around the buds and that is not the moisture in the buds…for that you need a moisture meter…since you removed from the stalk you cannot rely on any old school techniques like the snap test…

1 Like

Ok thanks for your help, I guess at this point I will just put them in mason jars on Friday and hope for the best.

I did order those little digital rh meters for the jars, they should be in by then

1 Like

did you get any Boveda packs??? they will help to keep the RH stable in the jar…You may want to consider the GROVE bags for curing instead of the jars…you can check you buds for dryness by compressing one and if it feels dry but springy you pry a little bit off and use the snap test in someway to determine if it is ready…

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it, enjoy being retired :grinning:

2 Likes

Bowl trimmer?
My preference is to hang whole stems and dry trim.

2 Likes

It’s not a real common practice to totally trim the buds from stems and fan leaves before drying. This will make the dry faster, which isn’t necessarily what we want. A slow dry helps to ensure that chlorophyll has time to break down. There is a noticable different in taste if you dry quickly compared to a slow dry. That being said, getting your rh down to 55ish will help slow it down. If you had a plentiful harvest, then you can break up one of your buds in a few days and see where it is. It most likely won’t have developed the desirable taste and aroma, but will let you know if it is dry enough to begin the cure.

3 Likes

Yes bowl trimmer

I read to much for sure, but alot of people said wet trimming is better? Lol I don’t know, I have 5 more coming down in the next week so I plan on trying both wet and dry trimming to see what works the best, I’m thinking the money I spent on the whole drying tent set up was a complete waste

1 Like

When you do a wet trim, leave the buds on the bigger stems. Dont snip them off too much. Do the fine manicuring after the dry and you won’t be disappointed.

I am…this is what I am doing today

2 Likes

Welcome to the community, also if possible temperature between 65 to 69 degrees. Shoot for a slow drying period. 7 to 10 days. With a complete wet trim probably will dry a little faster than normal. Happy growing ! :v:

1 Like

I have the exact setup as you, and I also use a bowl trimmer. My buds have been drying since Friday, and the are still very moist. They may feel dry on the outside, but I’m betting they’re not on the inside unless they’re very fluffy. I usually go 7 days before jarring.

1 Like

Until I had a second setup I usually was not able to dry in a tent. The past couple of harvests I have been able to. Previously I used large cardboard boxes. However, with the tent I can hang main stems. This is the crop that dried in the tent for eight days then into totes

You have to find what works for you. Some swear by wet trimming. I tried it, all by hand though, and I found I get a better longer dry and it is easier to trim when dry.

Yes exactly! They do feel dry to the touch, of course I’ll look again after work tonight :joy:

Thanks I appreciate you

I can’t believe I made it this far, I just started 13 plants on my inside setup, this is also my first ever inside grow useing seeds from this forum. I’m about 5 weeks in and will be starting a topic on that mess shortly

Thank you all so much for time and responding

1 Like

Mine are dry to the touch but remember know that it’s just the outside loose stuff, there’s more moisture inside. Drawing that moisture out too fast is a problem mentioned above, taste and quality

1 Like

There is no best way to chop, trim, dry or cure so to speak. You need to find what works best for YOU. We all live in different climates and that also has to be taken into account. People I know that live in drier climates like Arizona for example, might leave on as much plant matter as possible when drying whereas someone in the midwest or an area with high humidity might want to take off alot of the plant matter after the chop so they aren’t fighting against the humidity to get them dry in the same 7-10 days. There are so many dif ways with so many variables that we can use a blueprint so to speak but we then have to get it dialed in to how/where we grow.

1 Like