Drying/Curing Newbie question

Ok so first harvest last Friday. Every morning check on everything before I leave for work today tested some of smaller stems on buds drying and they broke instantly. Bigger stems didn’t break so they need more time. Can I go ahead and get the little ones out, or just wait tell the bigger ones are done and do it all together?

1 Like

The ‘stem-snap’ is a bad bit of advice floating around. If you dry your flower until stems snap you will overdry your product. Stem-snap WILL happen after cure if done properly.

8 Likes

O no, tonight would be 1 week. Temps stayed in 60, humidity depending on what thermometer look at stayed around 52-62 been raining a lot where I live. So In your opinion go ahead and jar. Have everything I think I need and had read what to do. Have mason jars, little thermometers to put in jars. I even bout the Boveda packs to use After curing correct? If I jar everything up and it’s still to wet have a window screen can use to put buds on and dry more if needed.

1 Like

I cant remember who but someone here recommended placing a wet leave or 2 for natural humidity and that worked well enough that I returned my boveda packs. The fresh leaf will jack it up quick tho…i only left mine in there for 5 min and jumped to 85%, i took it out, let it drop down by leaving the lid off, and havent needed to do that since…

Ive noticed though that if you dry them right you wont need to use anything. Ive dried a small offshoot, and then a batch if 5 offshoots…throw them in the curing jars. Wait a couple hours, see what the humidity is…if its a little high just leave the lid open, if its a little low, throw a leaf in there, but for the most part they seem to stay in that 55-65 range on their own. Just need to burp them now and then to get it down a couple % points.

I used the snap method but not to where it breaks in half, just til it makes a crack sound when i bend it. But i also squeezed the bud.

2 Likes

I had a rough time with two GG4s. They went crispy critter overnight in a dark tent with a humidifier! They were larfy to begin with. Measly harvest.

I have a Skywalker drying now. She’s still moist after 24 hours so I have hope!

2 Likes

Best way I’ve learned is from hellraiser. Pretty sure I found it in the Grove bag topic

4 Likes

Take a look guys tell me what y’all think @Aussie_autos @OGIncognito

1 Like

I don’t use a moisture meter but have had them ready from 5-10 days.

1 Like

To answer the original question. Yes take the smaller ones down. They will only get drier if they stay. That said, the bigger ones can still rehydrate them, so maybe take one bigger not-as-dry bud and the dry ones and get them in jars or Grove bags with a hygrometer, and see where they stabilize. If they go high, take the bigger bud out. If they go low, add another. If you can use her to re-hydrate herself it beats all other methods.

3 Likes

A small hygrometer placed in the jar with flower can help too.

4 Likes

Thank y’all have theae and jars ready

4 Likes

And Do Not use Boveda packs tell after it cured. 2 weeks. I will burp and watch the humidity levels 60 ish is where the humidity should be correct ?

2 Likes

58-62 is ideal Anything above 70 can cause mold.

cannabis-harvest-curing-cheat-sheet

5 Likes

Very nice do u have a reading when it was wet still

1 Like

With the moisture meter, anything above 12% is too wet. With hygrometers, anything above 65% is too wet.

3 Likes

Just want to say thanks to all. Got everything jarred up and trimmed last night. Trimming wow took a while. All the hydrometer are reading from 52-57. Burped this morning. Thanks to all. For more info follow along grow journal GSCX AUTOS newbie , thanks again

1 Like