Drying/Curing Holy Grail?

Mine was in Tennessee. Ive always wondered if some of the best weed comes from the sticks in the south! I know mine did.

Also, see my question about temps?

My holy grail was Maui Waui. It almost killed me when I was 14. Smoked it and went swimming and almost drown because I could not stop laughing. The water tickled.

For stickiness I have found it’s a phenotype in strains. Blackberry kush it consistently sticky. Annoying to trim because it gums up the trimmers and impossible to grind. Super skunk is also on the list. Quantum kush is on the list. Agent orange is on the list. Jack Herer is also on the list.

You can achieve the same stickiness on a wet plant but it’s nowhere near as potent as a properly dried plant.

3 Likes

Stickiness comes with genetics and how you grow ur plants all drying does is preserves the stickiness and the terpenes of ur flower and curing ur bud lets ur smells and terpenes get more potent and tasty

3 Likes

90 is at the high end of where you should be but if you have good airflow it should handle it ok.

1 Like

I’m gonna have to clarify, I forgot the initial Q was about dry/cure. The 80-90 for 7 hours or so could be an issue. Humidity will be a big factor as well but I would fear mold and rot at those high temps. Quick/overdrying would be something to watch for too.
I dry in a bedroom that has central air so temps are in low 80s at most.

1 Like

Sorry, you were right the first time. I was referring to my current flowering stage with the high temps. Usually i can keep it at 85 and below.Mid 70s the rest of the time.

Although you bring up something im trying to figure out about drying/curing in high temps. The best i can think of is to learn about cardboard box drying so i can somehow arrange it with/next to my AC unit in a different room. Other than sticking it right in front of the AC unit, even that room gets up to 85.

Also considering a bud drier to speed up the time, but not sure.

If the bud is good, it will still have a nice amount of its trichomes still. (Not tossed around in a bag so much it’s all in the shake)
It should also have some sort of “freshness”. This is why people use humidity packs to balance a 60-62% RH in the jars. I prefer not to use them. I just keep the jar shut. I use Bluetooth hygrometers to let me know if the humidity is too high.
Drying should take at least 10 days. Aim for a full 2 weeks with conditions dialed in. 60-70F / 58-62% RH. With a small fan pointed at a wall or the floor + extraction keeping the room in check.
If you grow good trichome infested bud, chop + dry for 2 weeks under those conditions… you will have sticky weed. Street weed is either too dry, or sprayed with something to try to revitalize some moisture. Which is why I prefer to grow my own. It may take some time to get it 100% right… but it’s worth the time & attention.

3 Likes

What a helpful reply. Thats awesome. Thank you Stanky. I screenshoted that for upcoming reference! Ive honestly never had “homegrown” before so now that you mention it, im really interested to find any differences.

My plants are looking good, but ive read everywhere that good bud can change to ‘eh bud’ if you screw up drying and curing. Which makes me pretty nervous, but i have faith. George Michael said youve gotta have it.

2 Likes

Here’s my rig. See holes cut in opposite sides and covered with carbon filter material. Strings to hang the stems from.
This sits right next to my tent with an oscillating fan nearby which circulates air in the whole room

This cover is just to keep out light.

This was about 4 oz after it was dried and trimmed.

I use a PVC pipe and move strings when drying a plant whole.

This one was extra dense so I cut the center out and hung in 2 pieces.

2 Likes

Very cool. I can hope for a yield like that. What does the carbon filter over the holes do for drying? Filter contaminants? Allow airflow? Smell?

I ask because the smell is not an issue for me so im wondering how necessary. But if it allows for better airflow while keeping light out, ill do it because ill be relying on cool air sitting next to the AC hitting the box to keep temps down.

1 Like

The carbon filter material was intended to mitigate the smell but turns out was not really necessary. My plants don’t have a strong odor while drying. They only smell like fresh cut hay for a while. The living plants do get funky at times but I am like you where the smell is not a major issue anyway.

That is the main purpose but just making small holes would do the same thing. :+1:

1 Like